Humane Capture, With The Full Barrel Wooden Mole Trap

It’s good to see the old stuff being used, I tried making one last yr but was never happy with the spring,

At least you had a go, mate ?,....best i done, was to use some dimensions (& some guess work ?) off of a certain modern 'plastic' version ? :D ,....& found a fella to make me one or two, out of wood ?,.......trouble is, was considerable expense, to employ his services :huh: lol,....hence, im never gonna have many ! :laugh:,....(guys a professional wood turner)

It’s good to see the old stuff being used, I tried making one last yr but was never happy with the spring,

At least you had a go, mate ?,....best i done, was to use some dimensions (& some guess work ?) off of a certain modern 'plastic' version ? :D ,....& found a fella to make me one or two, out of wood ?,.......trouble is, was considerable expense, to employ his services :huh: lol,....hence, im never gonna have many ! :laugh:,....(guys a professional wood turner)

One of Simon whiteheads pals makes then isnt there a bit of film showing how to make them and you can use plastic pipe if you want to go modern ?.

• Like 1

One of Simon whiteheads pals makes then isnt there a bit of film showing how to make them and you can use plastic pipe if you want to go modern ?.

Thats right, mate. Thats where i got some sizes ? Quite clever utilizing that "plastic pipe", & i can see the advantage, with it ?,.....but i was more keener to use the wooden ones,,.....cause im a traditionalist ! lol ,... & as '3175darren' says, its not easy getting the 'springs' right ? (my 'wood turner' friend isnt shy to have a go at making 'springs' for the traps, either, but hes still trying to perfect it :D )

Edited by earth-thrower

Thats right, mate. Thats where i got some sizes ? Quite clever utilizing that "plastic pipe", & i can see the advantage, with it ?,.....but i was more keener to use the wooden ones,,.....cause im a traditionalist ! lol ,... & as '3175darren' says, its not easy getting the 'springs' right ? (my 'wood turner' friend isnt shy to have a go at making 'springs' for the traps, either, but hes still trying to perfect it :D )
Bob Merrin is the guy out West cumbria , I have met the guy and he’s a cracking bloke friendly and help full, those traps are very effective when used right, it’s really good to keep the old ways going , the ones that I saw years ago had a side mounted what I would call a hazel stick or whip,used by mi grandad, I was too young to understand then ,but that type of trap you have, is the predesser of the modern half barrel, i would like to have ago with one myself,
  • Like 1

Bob Merrin is the guy out West cumbria , I have met the guy and he’s a cracking bloke friendly and help full, those traps are very effective when used right, it’s really good to keep the old ways going , the ones that I saw years ago had a side mounted what I would call a hazel stick or whip,used by mi grandad, I was too young to understand then ,but that type of trap you have, is the predesser of the modern half barrel, i would like to have ago with one myself,

Aye , they work mate, took me a bit of getting used too, though lol,.....interesting about the even earlier traps you describe, powered by whatever suitable stick, had to be flexible & strong enough, not to snap, i believe ?,.....proper skill required, setting those types, in the old days,..i would imagine ?

Edited by earth-thrower

Aye , they work mate, took me a bit of getting used too, though lol,.....interesting about the even earlier traps you describe, powered by whatever suitable stick, had to be flexible & strong enough, not to snap, i believe ?,.....proper skill required, setting those types, in the old days,..i would imagine ?
they were the true masters, most made there own traps, they had the knowledge what materials to use, what would last the longest, I often thought/ wondered if a spring could have been made of spring steel, I tried the 2 mm fence wire, and in truth wasn’t happy with the strength of it, but I never found any spring steel, worth trying, I even thought about the springs from a haybob,

BoB Merrins the man if you want his Tel no earththrower give me a shout and ill pm you it ( ill check with Bob first but Im sure it will be ok) hes a great bloke to talk to and hes still making the wooden ones, he will even tell you the best wood to make them out off, and the best wood for the mumble sticks so they dont swell up, Hes a font off knowledge

ATB Volpe

BoB Merrins the man if you want his Tel no earththrower give me a shout and ill pm you it ( ill check with Bob first but Im sure it will be ok) hes a great bloke to talk to and hes still making the wooden ones, he will even tell you the best wood to make them out off, and the best wood for the mumble sticks so they dont swell up, Hes a font off knowledge

ATB Volpe

Well all the credit, goes to Mr Merrin, actually,....for his brilliant films, & showing the way, with this trap design, of yesteryear !,....... it gave me the inspiration, to try & get one or two made, & have a go with them ?,.....only trial & error with me, these type,...so probably not made perfectly, or even 'set & installed' (by me) correctly, 100% of the time ! :laugh: