Working Unknown Ferrets Together

I am new to ferreting. I have a couple of kits who I will be taking out next month. I will likely just take one at a time. I will be out with much more experienced people who will have experienced ferrets.

My question is can you work an inexperienced kit alongside an experienced older ferret when they have never met before? Is there any best practices or anything to avoid doing?

Most good grafting older ferrets have nothing on their mind other than work. They have to get along with other ferrets... if they don't they're not worth keeping.

I would drop the older one in and then let the young one follow. . . it's always worked for me.

The older ferret should only have grafting on there mind as said and only give the youngsters a passing sniff . ,but even if they dont it may help the rabbits move i had two sister ferrets that you could hear chattering away as they worked it didnt half help the rabbits to move

I never had a problem working my ferrets with others apart from sometimes telling them apart!

If I am working a few with someone else I give their tail a dab with a bit of marker spray just to be sure

I mainly work a team of albinos so I tend to put different coloured tape on there collars that way I can tell them apart,post-19879-0-18762300-1506357406_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

I never had a problem working my ferrets with others apart from sometimes telling them apart!

If I am working a few with someone else I give their tail a dab with a bit of marker spray just to be sure

I learned that lesson the hard way, went out with someone and we both had white Jill's with no collars and I am positive he ended up with my jill as after that day 'my ferret' was half the worker she was and 'his ferret' really came on and turned into a good worker!

As said mate try putting them together after checking the adult if a hob isn't still in season as this warm weather can hold em in season a bit longer than usual and he will try and shag the kitt. Then watch em for a bit. They should be fine. 99% are you do get the odd one that is unsociable. But the chances are You will probably find em cuddled up to each other asleep in the cage after an hour or so.

We keep a minimum of 10 up to about 15 at one time and very very rarely get any problems in the autumn/winter

GOOD LUCK with em mate