What Is The Best Breed For The Job?

I suppose it all depends on your uses for the dog And personal preference I’ve tryed small dogs (size of whippet) and they’ve been found wanting by me as there very restrictive on uses there ok for a spot off ferreting an mooching about but on big land the gears are not there a short lamp trip An the dogs burned out but cheap to feed less space for up keep an easy to keep fit were as a big dog is at the opposite end of the scale so my thinking is meet halfway on both as there’s no point in setting your self up for disappointment and restricting your self so 22-23.5tts is bang on for a master of none in my eyes

I suppose it all depends on your uses for the dog And personal preference I’ve tryed small dogs (size of whippet) and they’ve been found wanting by me as there very restrictive on uses there ok for a spot off ferreting an mooching about but on big land the gears are not there a short lamp trip An the dogs burned out but cheap to feed less space for up keep an easy to keep fit were as a big dog is at the opposite end of the scale so my thinking is meet halfway on both as there’s no point in setting your self up for disappointment and restricting your self so 22-23.5tts is bang on for a master of none in my eyes

ps a bedlington x greyhound or a well bred collie x does or a mix of both Lurcher to Lurcher does it for me as I favour traditional bred gear for my uses

There will always be a dog out there that proves any theory or book wrong, I just think no matter what dog (size, breed) it is...if its works its quarry as it should then any breed could be the best for the job as I've seen with my own eyes big 28,29 and even bigger tts deerhound crosses make good rabbiting dogs and on the other side of the scale, a beddy whippet taking red fellas, he was only 20.5tts. We all know of a bull cross that wouldn't do its job or a whippet cross that wouldn't take a rabbit or even a saluki cross that wouldn't run a hare, don't we????????

lol what a topic ,what is the best breed ,well get out and run them and find out what is the best breed for you ,like said every dog is different , over the years ive had loads of breeds ,collie, beddys, salukis ,deerhound ,whippet ,and they were all the best until they died doing there job ,never judge a book by its cover ,ive a deerhound xs that looks the part but is sh.t and ive a whippet that does what my hound should of been doing , if a dog is out in the field and trys its best then it don't matter what breed or size it is ,its the best breed for the job , I do like the pic of the whippet with the jumper on and I could do with 2 of them , not for the 2 whippets I have but for the 2 shivering recks of sakukis I have atb bobza

• Like 3

For me it's not as simple as just getting out and running them. My dogs are pets more so than workers so even if they are crap at the job they will still be with me for life. It's just interesting to get opinions so I know what to consider for my next dog. For me it would be specifically to take ferreting so I do not need a large dog. My screen name is misleading, I'm actually a soft female who loves her dogs but just enjoys seeing them do what they were bred to do.

• Like 1

Your so right my misses went out and brought me a 3/4 whippet collie 18 months old had 2 months won't come near me but all over her but the dog iisn't going no where it's not being pushed from pillar to post but that is me a lot of people would just get rid or pts

• Like 1