Rabbit Gun On A Budget!

Hi all,

Wanting an air gun to use round the farm to shoot rabbits and other vermin, question is .22 or 177 with heavy pellets. This all seems to boggle me, just think I will need a pre charge.

Most targets will be 40 yards I expect.

Happy and most likely be second hand to bring the price down.

Anyone got any good recommendations? This gun will be a tool of the job so very happy with synthetic stock

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lots of helpful suggestions here. Jonjon makes a particularly good point when he talks about Weihrauch, Air Arms and established makes being serviceable/repairable, with parts available easily. If you

You dont need to spend loads mate just have a look for a secondhand rifle of your fancy in the freeads buy it and practice with it until your good then away you go. You dont need to spend silly money

OK how about a British made PCP, scope, pump, gunbag, pellets and targets? http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-rifles/pre-charged-pneumatic-pcp-air-rifles/gamo-phox-rifle-pack-177/20215   Hows tha

Posted Images

You dont need to spend loads mate just have a look for a secondhand rifle of your fancy in the freeads buy it and practice with it until your good then away you go. You dont need to spend silly money on wierauch air arms ect despite what some on here say ??

Edited by C.green
  • Like 2

Be careful CG as to buy cheap you normally buy twice.

A pcp that raises eyebrows over itself is the smk P900 Is it ?

My gun shop mate, Steve, was gobsmacked when this rifle was tried at his indoor range,- accurate and good power, averaging 10.9 ft/lbs and £219 brand new.

Personally I would save up and get a HW 100 in any format of your choice. Second hand they are far away from silly money, or new if you ask me.

With respect, you get what you pay for.

Good luck with your choices. atb Mark

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum mate :thumbs:

As said, Freeads isn't a bad place to start.

Also, most airgun forums have sales sections.

It'd be handy to know what you want to spend but, for quality Vs budget on a precharged, I'd recommend a used Air Arms S400/410 - they're a very accurate rifle and can be had at a good price.

Also, if you ever decide to sell, they don't usually hang around long.

Personally, I like .177 with a heavy pellet for hunting. They give a flatter trajectory than .22 and still hit hard.

However, don't forget that with a precharged, you'll also have to factor in the cost of a bottle or pump for refills.

For 40yrd rabbits, a springer would also serve you well. Also, the outlay for a quality used one would be cheaper and, your only other cost would be pellets.

There's a good reason why a lot of us chose brands like Air Arms, Weihrauch etc - because they're accurate and good quality and, parts are easy to get so that they can be serviced and maintained.

However, these makes don't have to be expensive - have a good look around, the deals are out there.

If you see something and you're not sure on it, just come back here and ask for advice :yes:

Good luck with the search mate and atb.

• Like 1

Be careful CG as to buy cheap you normally buy twice.

A pcp that raises eyebrows over itself is the smk P900 Is it ?

My gun shop mate, Steve, was gobsmacked when this rifle was tried at his indoor range,- accurate and good power, averaging 10.9 ft/lbs and £219 brand new.

Personally I would save up and get a HW 100 in any format of your choice. Second hand they are far away from silly money, or new if you ask me.

With respect, you get what you pay for.

Good luck with your choices. atb Mark

To be honest i think with engineering and materials these days you can pick up cheap enough guns that do the job ok.for my shooting for instance i use a sharp innova i dotn feel the need to change it and knovk plenty over same as some of the lads that use these new synthetic break barrels.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Wanting an air gun to use round the farm to shoot rabbits and other vermin, question is .22 or 177 with heavy pellets. This all seems to boggle me, just think I will need a pre charge.

Most targets will be 40 yards I expect.

Happy and most likely be second hand to bring the price down.

Anyone got any good recommendations? This gun will be a tool of the job so very happy with synthetic stock

Thanks in advance.

How much dollar you got to spend?

your probably a bit to far away for this............

but I have this for sale, mint condition AA S400, .177 cal, bottle and guage with a case, bottle needs a retest but no problem getting it done, I will take £350 and no less for it.

post-19478-0-90047600-1506280398_thumb.jpg

all the best,

jay :thumbs:

• Like 2

Nice offer Jay :thumbs:

I do like those 400 series carbines :yes:

Ps, your skirting needs painting mate :whistling::laugh::thumbs:

aye your bloody right there...........lol :laugh::icon_redface:

old pic and had only recently at the time of taking picture put those 2 pieces back on after building fire place and wall papering........ :victory:

one job at a time.........lol

all the best

jay. :thumbs:

• Like 1

ok, some of you will laugh, £300 tops ,preferably not that! given stirrup pump so might be able to do without bottle.

Seen some gamo fox and cayote and told they almost a bsa

Anyway gun or new childseat for car?

No laughing mate - you'll get something perfectly capable for that :yes:

If I remember rightly, SecretagentMole on here has a Gamo Phox - he does well with it.

..... He gave it a good review as a BSA with a Spanish tag :thumbs:

• Like 1

Lots of helpful suggestions here. Jonjon makes a particularly good point when he talks about Weihrauch, Air Arms and established makes being serviceable/repairable, with parts available easily. If you are looking for a gun to use as a tool, it is likely to work hard for its living, so that will be important. You don't want to have to replace it because spares can't be had if it develops a fault. It's worth seeking the advice of your local gun shop. Many have used guns and the advantage of buying from them is that backup/after-sales is to hand. Sites such as Gunstar and Gun Trader are also worth a look.

• Like 4