Prarie Dog Shooting

What I ment was you'd have a lot more fun, plenty of bolt holes for the little critters too escape from survival of the fittest instead of blowing them to bits with high calibre rounds bit too much over kill for me.

Not keen on using live critters as long range targets, but,.. 'each to their own'... :hmm:

Ferreted Prairie Dawgs,...it was, emotional... :whistling:

Do they bolt from ferrets readily Phil.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did some prairie dog control a few years ago the had colonised some land adjoining a well known zoo by burrowing beneath a fence and crossing a busy road. Ferreting was as Phil said emotional ? and

I did some prairie dog control a few years ago the had colonised some land adjoining a well known zoo by burrowing beneath a fence and crossing a busy road. Ferreting was as Phil said emotional ? and ended up with some badly bitten ferrets. Shot some but they are tough little b@stards like big squirrels and as I could only use air rifles on that land I was undergunned and had a few get away injured. So I caught them in cage traps in the end which was quite straightforward and I should have done it in the first place. B@stards to get out of the trap so had to tip them into a paper sack. You can hold them by the tail but it is very short and after a couple of times they learn to tuck it underneath so you can't grip it. Only a small colony but i certainly earned money clearing them.

• Like 4

Y'all do realize this is pest ( or vermin as y'all say ) control right ? Its kinda hard to get with 100yd sometimes so long range is best. Not to mention their a carrier of many things. Aaaannnd who considers a .223 a big game caliber? I mean most hunters will chastise someone for bringing a .223 for any thing larger than a coyote.

I remember talking to a gundealer who had a shooting range about 18 year ago and him and his mates used to go on trips to USA to shoot prairie dogs. .220 swift was the calibre they used and some of the better shots were shooting them at 600 yards. Easier said than done but the swift and 22.250 would be nice flat trajectory for the job.

Y'all do realize this is pest ( or vermin as y'all say ) control right ? Its kinda hard to get with 100yd sometimes so long range is best. Not to mention their a carrier of many things. Aaaannnd who considers a .223 a big game caliber? I mean most hunters will chastise someone for bringing a .223 for any thing larger than a coyote.

I did as over here it's a calibre for the larger uk mammals dont forget we haven't got the open spaces or larger mammals you have in USA .

Over here it's smaller calibre and fieldcraft to get closer to the quarry.

22.250 and 223 in England aren't used for shooting rabbit sized squirrel like prairie dogs....but then we English don't really have that American attitude of yeeeee haaaaaa let's go shot me a ground squirrel with an anti tank gun !!