Sign in to follow this  
W. Katchum

Antler's.???

Not my usual section as im about as crafty as a broken house brick haha but whats deal with antlers, as in best way to remove em from a skull, i have few basic tools an aint really ever bothered with antlers or nowt before but iv come in to a wee set my lad fancies a knife handke or summat made out of them, so plan is to remove em an pur em aside till i get round to trying it haha, so whats easiest other than taking a hammer to skull haha

Saw mate ..I take it the skull is clean , just cut them below the pedicle ...post-81636-0-95094600-1506098042_thumb.jpg

You can see on here cut between antler and skull .

Sorry its a crap photo ..

No skull aint clean yet, i just boil that dont i?? Take as much off it as possible then boil in garden? An i take its a hack saw ?? Haha see i told ye im not very clued up on this stuff haha

No skull aint clean yet, i just boil that dont i?? Take as much off it as possible then boil in garden? An i take its a hack saw ?? Haha see i told ye im not very clued up on this stuff haha

If you only want the antler don't bother cleaning the skull just make sure you cut as far beneath the pedicel as you can , any skin still attached you can clean round with a knife and give it a jet wash ..

Bone saws best but I've done plenty with a hacksaw , also done a few with a thin diamond blade on a small angle grinder ..

• Like 1

If you only want the antler don't bother cleaning the skull just make sure you cut as far beneath the pedicel as you can , any skin still attached you can clean round with a knife and give it a jet wash ..

Cheers buddy

Get the chainsaw out pal. Give it large. Rough file finish and away you go lol. Just a thought on a typical Friday night..jok

• Like 2

Iv got hacksaw an a woodd saw haha that's about all I got tho haha I'll get em took off an then I'll. Start having a look for a Lil blank of some sort and see if I can get it sopted without losing a finger or 2 or breaking it haha I'm good at breaking stuff that's about limit of my abilities tho haha

I'm heading up to the brothers in October so can stop by and give you a hand pal. I'm also dropping in on Zeus Polecat and hopefully Airgun Ant for a bit of fishing. Jok.

Iv got hacksaw an a woodd saw haha that's about all I got tho haha I'll get em took off an then I'll. Start having a look for a Lil blank of some sort and see if I can get it sopted without losing a finger or 2 or breaking it haha I'm good at breaking stuff that's about limit of my abilities tho haha

Sound like my brother , his toolkit consists of 1smallish hammer , 1 big hammer and a pudlock ...not many jobs he can't tackle ........funny though they all look the same when he's done , lots of small pieces with sharp edges ..☹️

• Like 1

I've always used a fine toothed wood saw for my antler...I made a knife with a deer antler handle ...then used two roe buck antlers fasterned to a plack as a stand for the knife ... and my tool box doesn't consist of much more than hamers couple saws some gorilla glue a couple rusty nails and most importantly duct tape

• Like 1

Sound like my brother , his toolkit consists of 1smallish hammer , 1 big hammer and a pudlock ...not many jobs he can't tackle ........funny though they all look the same when he's done , lots of small pieces with sharp edges ..☹️
an old lad told me once the best tool in the box is a hammer you will use it more often than any other