Squirrel Snaring

Guest little_lloyd

Well Mr waters, I have been wating for this for a long time,, I have the perfect site for this and have been meaning to do it for a very long time now,, But with no guildlines,, Now i have your help and its something i will be preparing for the new year.. Many thans Glen and a Merry Christmas and a happy new year. :thumbs:

Great article G.W. I do a very similar thing but I use 120 body traps on a 2 X 4 placed on it's side so the path to the grain is narrow. I found that if there is ANY chance for the squirrel to go over or around the trap , it will so I placed wire mesh and tree branches above and to the sides and that increased my catch ratio very well. I also tie fishing line between the triggers. My pan system would work well here as well I believe. Pics below.

100_0360.jpg

100_0343.jpg

100_0344.jpg

100_0345.jpg

nice work guys! i have on occasion snared the wee tree rats! have you guys ever tried the method in Lofty Wisemans SAS survival guide? just find a stout stick 5 or 6 feet long,then tie a dozen or so snares all round and along the length then simply lean it against a tre! :D

nice work guys! i have on occasion snared the wee tree rats! have you guys ever tried the method in Lofty Wisemans SAS survival guide? just find a stout stick 5 or 6 feet long,then tie a dozen or so snares all round and along the length then simply lean it against a tre! :D

yes , but not with a dozen snares , just the one on each leaning pole , good in areas that might get "troubled "by passers-by , most just walk past and see nothing , unless you catch

if you snared to the instructions of an SAS manual you would starve to death , i taught one of these guys a good lot of years back how to snare properly , and he couldn,t believe the difference , as he was catching nothing , they are all taught to snare with tiny loops 4 fingers high , ive taught guys who went to the army and when the instructor started to show them how to snare rabbits they almost died laughing , anyway as moley rightly states who the hell needs a dozen snares on a pole , and the squirrels run up and down the top of it , 99 percent of these guys that write books and in magazines about rabbit snaring , are dreamers in my opinion , and have never seen a good kill of snared rabbits in their lives , old chisholm one of my mentors worked 1000 pegged snares and snared 2500 in a week , snareman. :o
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
well we set up 12 of these today

we didnt put the snares on so that the squirrels can get comfortable with 'em

we'll snare 'em up in a few days

we baited them with bird seed...do squirrels eat bird seed? :icon_redface:

;

Snareman1234, If you watch a squirrel it sort of moves in short leaps. Now I snare Mink in the winter and often set a snare on logs across the water (stream) as mink like to get close to the water. I have found that it is better to set the snare in a hoop about four fingers. I nail the wire hoop (Fence wire) to the log with staples.

You can't use a trap that you use for squirrels if you want to save the pelt.

;

Snareman1234, If you watch a squirrel it sort of moves in short leaps. Now I snare Mink in the winter and often set a snare on logs across the water (stream) as mink like to get close to the water. I have found that it is better to set the snare in a hoop about four fingers. I nail the wire hoop (Fence wire) to the log with staples.

you can use bodygrip traps to catch squirrels on logs anytime , the same with the snares. ive caught stacks of them and it does not affect the pelt one bit , the same as they are caught in my mink snares , squirrels run higher than a mink does, i know because i,ve snared so many of them in my mink snares on the ground over the last 30 yrs.

;

;

if you look at the above pictures provided by ace trapper , you will see a few squirrels hanging from running poles in bodygrip traps, the same goes for mink caught on log crossings in them it does not affect the pelts one bit , as ive snared and trapped hundreds , the north americans use these traps all the time for mink trapping as a lot of them earn their living from trapping.