Guest HAWKEYE
What books do you recomend on terriers lurchers or whatever ??

plummers[complete lurcher]the man knew feck about working dogs but a lot about training them

Yeah fair point BUT and I mean a big BUT his books are full of anecdotal lies and doom and gloom tales of failure and dogs dead or injured bfore their time.....Eg Fathom , Penguin and various others.

Merle and Omega are to be avoided at all costs IMHO as they are so poor its disgusting,,Merle was the perfect figurement of a worthless animal... He states at the beginning he was bred to be the perfect lurcher but by the climax he is an accomplished fox lamper and we all now the true tale in that.

Omega is also my watershed Plummer book because after reading this tale as a youngster I first thought things here arent quite as they seem. He refuses to give patterdales a single complimentary word in this tome but the best bit ever to qoute a plummer terrier owner is one line. Regarding Omegas refusal to enter an earth and remember this is a bitch which the cornerstone of the plummer line is based on ....

"I never used Omega on foxes , As it would have been like using a rapier to chop firewood"

The great man himself admitted breeding from Jibbers Quitters etc.

"In terms of what you should buy, then I would recommend Jackie Drakeford for lurchers and David Harcombe for terriers. "

Yes by all means use Harcombe as your muse for earth work as he has been there and done that..But as for Jackie Drakeford please :no:

I started to read h "understanding the working lurcher" the night before last and put it down after a skim through.I am very suspicous of any writer whose quarry section in a book is liteweight ...Quite frankly the foxing and deer sections are based on theories and I was left wondering exactly how much hunting had the author actually done. This is the most crucial art of the book. Modern times call for modern writers. There was very little on Bull Breeds and Saluki crosses which surely rank more numerous among dog men than the Collie , Beddy and gwp EXTOLLED IN THIS VOLUME. tHEN SHOCK HORROR OF HORRORS There was even a dredded bredding section, my pet hate in any lurcher book as why would you want to when they are far better breeding advice books around And I think contribute litters around the country bred from inferior dogs. As a last damming indictment there was also very very little pictures of quarry. Never a good sign in all honesty .

• 1 month later...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[a good read for true night hawks is harold wymans book on poaching a classic , gazehounds and coursing by d salmon , there a few more but well its awhile since i bought a good book , maybe someone shall produce a book on dogs ferrets salmon poaching and hunting running dogs all over our planet until then we have to pick the best on whats there maybe a real book on rougues and running dogs about the miners strike of 85 and the skull duggery that went along with it i was brought up in a mining and fishing village ,er frosty nights im told is a good one ,all the best

Anything by that Frain chap. Top gear. :good:

I hear Frain is a very talented artist also..... ;) .

I see my thoughts have been vindicated by the very brief review afforded Mr Frains latest offering :) (via this weeks Shooting Times), that being, "Rabbiting with Dog, Gun, Hawk, Ferret, Hound, Lawnmower, Strimmer, Smoker, Toaster et al". And I quote; "It's a little utilitarian" :icon_eek: and "a bit text book" :icon_eek: and it's "replete with poorly focused black and white photographs" :no: . I rest my case. Buy it at your peril!

quality pisstake mate,rats dont stand a chance with that lot in the truck :11: :11:

I see my thoughts have been vindicated by the very brief review afforded Mr Frains latest offering :) (via this weeks Shooting Times), that being, "Rabbiting with Dog, Gun, Hawk, Ferret, Hound, Lawnmower, Strimmer, Smoker, Toaster et al". And I quote; "It's a little utilitarian" :icon_eek: and "a bit text book" :icon_eek: and it's "replete with poorly focused black and white photographs" :no: . I rest my case. Buy it at your peril!

quality pisstake mate,rats dont stand a chance with that lot in the truck :11: :11:

i was given "The patterdale terrier" the other day by someone......has anyone read it? :yahoo:

Guest HAWKEYE

Taffy please get a book done mate... :) ...I was in hysterics at "the patterdale terrier " last night in a book shopo..Those must be the worst photos I have ever seen in a working dog book...some of the patterdales in it are like borders or just random black mongrels tied to spades..a complete wadte of time and money...

Just look for my book next year.....It'll be a classic !!!!!!!!!!!!

:11:

I'm gonna interview & write sections from different terrier fellas from of this site...There will be chunks of shite in it big enough to sink atlantic liners on thier maiden voyages !!!!!!!!!.......... :11:  :11:  :11:

Seriously  , from a terrier pont of view WOTWT will take some beating as there is a genuine reality about the book from a man who obviously has been there & done it....I have also Just read "The Hare" by Gill Mason.....What a superbly written & informative book......HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.... :good:

what you gonna call it ??? :D

any suggestions lads..... !!!

Just look for my book next year.....It'll be a classic !!!!!!!!!!!!

:11:

I'm gonna interview & write sections from different terrier fellas from of this site...There will be chunks of shite in it big enough to sink atlantic liners on thier maiden voyages !!!!!!!!!.......... :11:  :11:  :11:

Seriously  , from a terrier pont of view WOTWT will take some beating as there is a genuine reality about the book from a man who obviously has been there & done it....I have also Just read "The Hare" by Gill Mason.....What a superbly written & informative book......HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.... :good:

what you gonna call it ??? :D

any suggestions lads..... !!!

HOW ABOUT "DIGGING MEN AND THEIR DOGS,THE REAL DEALS"

ONLY THING IS IF ITS CALLED THAT I COULDNT CONTRIBUTE COS I AM A MESSER AND CERTAINLY AM NOT HARDCORE ENOUGH ........YIS FELLMAN

I was in hysterics at "the patterdale terrier " last night in a book shopo..Those must be the worst photos I have ever seen in a working dog book...some of the patterdales in it are like borders or just random black mongrels tied to spades..a complete wadte of time and money...

You think those photos were bad?????!!!!!.....

Try and get hold of this by him........

"Rabbiting with Dog, Gun, Hawk, Ferret, Hound, Lawnmower, Strimmer, Smoker, Toaster et al"......Cragman's title name should be adopted by the author!!!... :clapper: .

And seeing / reading that , they'll be carrying you out of the shop!!!.

You shouldn't have told them Chief. :icon_eek: :11:

A picture from the book, rabbit with pillion passenger, the noble ferret. Drawn by the great man himself!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/cragma...303book0001.jpg

Guest HAWKEYE

His article was the worst thing I have ever read in edrd ...

This month had cracking articles from Chris Breen, Harcombe, Fellmans best mate Dave Sleight, Richard Christian and Jonathon Darcy..Then that half wit goes and wrecks a great issue with his fallacies ....