I Love This Time Of Year

Its been a real bummer for my wife and I because we didn't get any deer tags this year :censored: A little depressed about it but... on a good note, a friend of ours was able to draw an Elk hunt in a unit he's been putting in for last 19 years. It was great to hear the stories of his hunt that just took place & all about how his willingness to help another hunter who was handicapped in a different part of the same unit he'd got drawn for... And how this hunter at the last moment had to leave because his wife had a accident and needed to be taken to the hospital. The handicapped hunter was so thankful (after many unsuccessful attempts posting for help) because my friend was willing to step up & reach out to help him...So upon taking his injured wife to the hospital which ended his chances of his hunt decided to tell my friend where exactly to find a Huge 370 inch bull Elk. My friend found the Huge bull the day before the season opened. He waited until the bull laid down for the night. On the opening day of the hunt... he found the bull just where he left it the day before. He started his long slow sneak, got to where he was in range with cow elk there running all around him and noticed the old bull was holding back for two last cows.... then all of a sudden the sound of a rifle went off from afar. One shot from another hunter dropped the big old bull in his tracks...an over 600 yard shot right over my friends head! My friend was so mad after all those years waiting... to be sniped away in a moments notice after all his hard work! He was able to tell the story of what had just taken place to his (handicapped) friend who had given the location (out of gratitude of my friend being the only person being willing to answer to a call for help). Well, this new friend was so kind & decided to give my friend another lead/opportunity on a different big old bull elk! You'll never guess what.... the same thing happen to him again... talk about bad luck! This time the other hunter shot the bull at over 700 yards. In the end of this story my good friend was still blessed and able to get this bull elk (a 330 inch beautiful 6x6). I love to hear these stories...I just wish I could've been apart of it. This is the bull he ended up with...not too shabby, huh? I guess his kindness to someone else in need still paid off and he didn't go home empty handed.

post-104280-0-04008300-1506013328_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

FairPlay mate that's one hell of an elk but this time of year is going from summer into winter this side of the pond were as I suspect it's getting warmer your side though I do agree as I love winter out with my dogs more than summer simply because all the solar powered idiots have gone away until spring and I have lots more space to roam

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 1

P*ss poor field craft if you've got to shoot any living creature from 700 yards.

Or look at it another way......a hell of a shot ?

Was a great shot but a lousy stalk , I don't care who you are there is a great margin for error with 700yd shooting ..

• Like 2

P*ss poor field craft if you've got to shoot any living creature from 700 yards.

At a target it probably would be, but no need at something that could take weeks to die just to stroke your ego....

FairPlay mate that's one hell of an elk but this time of year is going from summer into winter this side of the pond were as I suspect it's getting warmer your side though I do agree as I love winter out with my dogs more than summer simply because all the solar powered idiots have gone away until spring and I have lots more space to roam

Solar powered idiots...... CLASS!!!!

I'm stealing that sir!

My sentiments exactly!

Cracking animal and I'd be pissed with some f****r playing Chris Kyle on a beast that I was clearly stalking. Not really much of an excuse when you're wearing blaze orange! The game wardens probably wouldn't look too kindly on you sawing the antlers off another hunters Elk in spite right? LOL

I've no problem with 700 yard shots in that country, simply the cheek of it.

Probably got a hell of an App......

Do you reckon he used Chairgun ?

(If he did, I wish he'd explain it to me !)