• 1 month later...

My 9 yr old patt bitch had one pup the other month and killed it, second time in pup, last time I will bred a dog at that age, my Lurcher bitch was same age when she had her first litter, cost me almost 2 grand for a c-section and keeping pups alive only to die at 3 weeks old, ended up with 2 pups from 12 and my bitch being spade, your dog your choice, but if it was me I'd be cautious. Both my bitches were fit and healthy before hand.my lurcher bitch never had a season  till she was gone 8,thats how hard she's been run since I've had her, she was at her peak so to speak same as the terrier bitch. Fireworks going off constantly last week or so stressing her out, contributed to the lurcher bitch having complications imo, but couldn't for the life of me suss why the terrier whelped and killed hers? She's the most sensible, biddable bitch I've owned. Fingers crossed for you, whatever you decide ? you asked for opinions I'm just giving you mine. Atb dc

Just now, C.green said:

2k for a c-section dc ? Pisstake that is i know some folk breed bulldogs and its nowhere near that mark mustve been serious complications.

£1200 for c-section, 9 dead pups turned bitch septic, dirty c**ts spayed  her too,  the rest keeping pups on a drip  and meds. I don't trust any vets, but what can you do when your dogs in the shit? Mrs and kids in tears.... f**k the money, I live for my dogs ? atb dc

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

£1200 for c-section, 9 dead pups turned bitch septic, dirty c**ts spayed  her too,  the rest keeping pups on a drip  and meds. I don't trust any vets, but what can you do when your dogs in the shit? Mrs and kids in tears.... f**k the money, I live for my dogs ? atb dc

Not saying you were a fool to pay it hust saying thas well over the usual mark for that type of operation like youve just said there were complications. A couple weeks ago i had a dog in the vet with a punctured lung the chest cavity needing draining every 10 minutes said it would go up 1200 every 24 hours wouldnt let me see the dog till morning so i couldnt have her put down save her suffering anyway bitch died through the night and when i went to collect her body they still wanted around the thousand pound mark.

Just now, C.green said:

Not saying you were a fool to pay it hust saying thas well over the usual mark for that type of operation like youve just said there were complications. A couple weeks ago i had a dog in the vet with a punctured lung the chest cavity needing draining every 10 minutes said it would go up 1200 every 24 hours wouldnt let me see the dog till morning so i couldnt have her put down save her suffering anyway bitch died through the night and when i went to collect her body they still wanted around the thousand pound mark.

Did you pay? 

4 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Did you pay? 

Nah i offered them what i thought was fair for what they done but made it clear if they accepted it i was not paying anything else they turned there nose up at it. They couldnt save me dog so why should i be paying them anything.

Ive always had a good relationship with my vet ,a women who understands working dogs .My last terrier to go had cancer and after a lot of unnecessary poking about ,i said enough is e nough pts .Before the bitch was totally gone she learned over and asked me how I wanted to pay .I'm afraid I lost it a bit choked back the fears and tore into the vet and havnt paid the bill ,wont be back either .Insensitive c**t.

All what you describe DC can happen to a bitch at any age I'm afraid and I still stand by breeding a bitch at 8.

• Thanks 1

Speaking too a very well known and respected terrier man, who tells it how it is, that gave me a stud for my bitch,  about older bitches, and breeding, he lined an older bitch he had, she need a c-section and had the one pup-so surly age is a factor??? Sorry fd I'm not in the habit of trying to make folks look a fool for a one up so to speak.... But keeping a dog a live with cancer says alot about the owner imho- is it ego or selfishness? Personally if I had one diagnosed with it, the poor thing would be resting on that bench at the first opportunity not prodded or poked about, maybe I'm softer than you? , but I wouldn't dream of letting any of my animals suffer unnecessarily. It's a forum for asking others opinions I gave mine from my own experiences be it good or bad, life's a learning curve, my own personal experiences tell me to be cautious on the question in hand. Granted some folks drag litter after litter out of bitches every 6 m with no issues ? I'm not one of them, been knocked down and started from scratch more than once. I gave away a fox only bitch few weeks ago with all the breeding I've had behind it, I knew in my heart of hearts that breeding  from her would only set me back to what I wanted  to achieve in the long run.... As good as the dogs in her make up were, having sentimental views and taking that punt,  don't keep you in consistent digging dogs season after season imo,  Just being honest not looking for an argument pal. Atb dc

You have taken my post way out of context mate .The bitch was just off her food for a while so i took her down to the vets who ,after a few tests said she had lepto spirosis which is treatable .I wasn' convinced as she's ratted all her life with not problems .As vets do ,they filled her with antibiotics but she went down hill fast .I took her back and it was myself who said enough is enough and had her pts there and then when the vet suggested another course of pills .It was my own diagnoses that she had cancer which the vet finally agreed with .Any clearer Shaun .

As an observation mate ,if you'e got nothing worth breeding off from the years you'e been at it what the f**k you been playing at .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20170523_161733-1.thumb.jpg.6f60b233e1a87a6ce9ecb2c8e735fe35.jpgA calculated risk, at the end of the day it's a personal choice,  the bitch was fit and well so I went for it.

It's the only time I've had to have a C section with this bitch, it didn't break the bank at £150 so I'm not complaining. 

• Like 2