Advice Wanted

the situation is I have ground in scotland for a pheasant shoot so we have the shooting rites a problem has been ongoing with roe over population and road casualties. Without going into to much detail it looks like I may be tasked with culling .Now as I have a 223 and its legal in Scotland to use on roe also my ticket has the any other lawful quarry issued by Northumbria not a Scottish force . (A) Do I put in for a 243 and have deer added to my ticket from the Northumbria force . (B) Without any deer courses under my belt would it be a waste of time trying .Any advice .

cheers Dave.

• Like 1

the situation is I have ground in scotland for a pheasant shoot so we have the shooting rites a problem has been ongoing with roe over population and road casualties. Without going into to much detail it looks like I may be tasked with culling .Now as I have a 223 and its legal in Scotland to use on roe also my ticket has the any other lawful quarry issued by Northumbria not a Scottish force . (A) Do I put in for a 243 and have deer added to my ticket from the Northumbria force . (B) Without any deer courses under my belt would it be a waste of time trying .Any advice .

cheers Dave.

Ask them they won't bite you, most firearms officers will give reasonable advice, I will say no matter what people tell you the D.SC. courses are not compulsory to stalk deer, there are a lot of good stalkers out there that have never done it, it's no guarantee of a quality stalker, as for 243 well if you got one it leaves it open to stalk anywhere,north or south of the border, and they are very capable deer and fox rifles,
  • Like 1

DAREN I will probably get in touch with Northumbria just wanted to know if I had any pitfalls to avoid.

hily I have tried to pm you not sure if you got it, there's no pitfalls mate just prove you have a need for one, as in for control of deer and destruction of foxes, provided the land is passed for that calibre , and in Scotland you will be fine, you may have to have a closed condition on that calibre, I started my mate stalking and got him a 270, his first deer calibre for stalking around the Penrith area , which they granted a certificate for, he hadn't done any courses,

Plenty of folks are shooting deer without going on any poxy course. I wouldn't stand for any crap your licensing dept might try on.

You have a need to control deer.

You have experience, indeed own, the calibre needed for the job.

They have no legitimate reason to not authorise, if it's even necessary with the AOLQ.

Edited by Born Hunter