Doubling Up Dogs

Dose anyone still do this..was out last week with the hounds ran one in the hounds marked well but the old fella with us wanted to try his terrier so off he went dog moved about a bit as if he couldn't stop it.. he asked could he slip his bitch in and they'll get the job done (not a practice I'd preach) sure enough it bolted after 10 minutes lol some hill billy's out there

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doubling up is moronic at best, it shouldn't even be up for discussion

It's something that is a lot more common than people would believe or admit to. But yes, without doubt it still happens regularly.

I like mine to have a bit of company when he works..........he's very sensitive....

if you need too double up dogs they are no good plain and simple I myself have done it once a few years back when the collar was ripped off the terrier while he was in the ground working had too enter a bitch I had I knew she would just sit in behind him so we could get a steady mark only entered the bitch cause I knew she wouldnt eat the back end off the dog other than that it would boil my piss to see two dogs in the ground

• Like 1

Only time I done it is when first dogs collar packed up so put it's dam in with second collar on just to locate young bitch only had to do it once didn't want to do it but young bitch won't come away from here quarry once she gets up it it

dug down to a collar wrapped round a root with no dog last season. Couldnt put another dog in as i wouldnt risk injury, good job i had the bar in the van hehe!
  • Like 1

I believe folk are getting mixed up between entering 2 terriers in the same hole,or a small holding spot.Visit some of the rock piles that folk used to work,i say used to because not many terriers are suitable to enter the places that their breeding was originally intended for.You could enter a terrier at 1 location and another 50,60 or 100 yds further along a boulder strewn pile and get a better and quicker result.These locations where known to be the main holding spots in certain locations and were worked by many generations of better terriermen and terriers than are readily available now.These same folk worked their charges singularly most of the terriers hunting life yet knew the type of terrier in their kennel that was suited to enter with company on the occasional occasion that it was deemed necessary.Others have pointed out the fact that its an accepted practice to enter a second terrier to rescue the initial terrier entered,this to me is a far more dangerous practice,yet necessary,than entering 2 in the small minority of times its practicable and serves a function that was once common amongst seasoned terrierfolk.I have often had 2 terriers in the ground together,working piles earlier mentioned,rescue situations and on occasion when 2 terriers have been working freely and found and entered,i know my mutts and would,nt work a terrier if i was not prepared to reluctantly accept the risks involved.

• Like 2

Good point Morton.

But a lot of the old records of rescues in the rocks said that the rescued or otherwise terriers were often together with their quarry.

To me that means that more than one terrier was entered to worry the fox and yet the same old timers often said they wouldn't breed of a terrier who couldn't worry a fox ?

In Frains book "Willie Irving" there's several accounts of 4 and 5 terriers entered to account for him. IMO that's overkill, but at the end of the day it was about getting the job done.

BUT, should some of those terriers have entered the history books for their prowess as workers ?