Cheers mate they seem to be hugging the bottom i guess they just lay dorment in the cold ? You reckon i should move the barrell into a sunny spot as at min there in shade

MOVE THEM IF ITS NOT TO HEAVY THEY WILL BE GRAND LIKE YOU SAID THERE HARDY CUT BACK THE FOOD ANYTHING THEY DONT EAT REMOVE AND JUST HAVE THE PUMP ON LOW ALL THE BEST WITH THEM
  • Like 1

another old trick, is leave a tennis ball in the water, when it starts to get cold enough to freeze over, the ball will leave a hole in the water when frozen, and fish will still be able to get oxygen . it lack of oxygen in the water that kills the fish , we had some nice size fish when i was a lad, we had one big red gold fish who come up from bottom of the pool and take food out of your fingers , my old man loved him lol, they can live quite long while , if you get the pond=water just right :yes:

anybody keep tropical fish and info .? always liked them

another old trick, is leave a tennis ball in the water, when it starts to get cold enough to freeze over, the ball will leave a hole in the water when frozen, and fish will still be able to get oxygen . it lack of oxygen in the water that kills the fish , we had some nice size fish when i was a lad, we had one big red gold fish who come up from bottom of the pool and take food out of your fingers , my old man loved him lol, they can live quite long while , if you get the pond=water just right :yes:

anybody keep tropical fish and info .? always liked them

Had loads of tropical tanks and still got my koi pond

I lost a few goldfish and hibernating frogs in the two bad winters we had a few year back. But temperatures were minus 13/14. My small pond is less than a metre deep and all my casualties occurred in that pond. My big pond is over a metre deep and I had no deaths in that one. So the answer I suppose is that most winters they will be fine. For winters where you get arctic temperatures you might lose them in an exposed barrel.

• Like 1