What Shell??

Appreciate the coment, however i fear it is woefully inadequate to help very much, was the best i could muster given the trip up north info from the original post.

i am sure we can come up with a little more helpfull information given gun type acctualy what they plan on doing where and how. all we have so far is Peterhead. could be anything.

we will just be useing semi autos 70mm standard.and as far as I know we are only shooting over decoys inland.cheers for the reply

The winchester canard ammo in32gram 4s Or RC hyperfast are good choices for close shots like you will be doing.

What you need to do is test several boxes of different cartridges in your auto and get together with your mates or encourage them to test their ammo too, pattern them at 40 yards should be suitable for your trip decoying, you could try different chokes in your gun if multi choke if not just test for pattern pick the most even tight pattern most pelets in 30inch looking for patterns that have a dense inner ten inch with no big voids in the outer ring if there are any voids as big as a cd you need to look again, spending time here is never wasted and with 50% in the inner 10 inch load is good for further than 40yards but more important you have the reassurance you can kill clean if you do your part well enough.

Dont be hung up on 4s either you could go for 3s 2s whatever looking at decent pattern is what is important. If its holding a good pattern with 3s go with them it is laborious but can be the difference between a good trip or a disappointment, and you owe it to the geese to make doubly sure what you are using is as good as you can get it.

I would like to say fair play to you as you asked the question in the first place which showed you all were being responsible straight out of the starting gate, this is the right attitude to have regardless of what you are hunting.

cheers for that Il deffenetly look into it and see what's best.i don't know why some people where getting worked up about me asking,It's a very straight question.thanks again

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Luckily there's experts like you on this hunting site willing to help the lad out and give him some guidance ... oh no wait a minuet .......

With a little more insight into what guns you will be taking a more accurate assessment of what ammunition you will need to take with you can be made. It is unlikely you will be reloading and shop

ha ha one thing Il say for you les your a good aul laugh and your right I know nothing about goose shooting(unlike you it seems)but after the 1st 1 or 2 Il have the lead sorted don't you worry about t

Appreciate the coment, however i fear it is woefully inadequate to help very much, was the best i could muster given the trip up north info from the original post.

i am sure we can come up with a little more helpfull information given gun type acctualy what they plan on doing where and how. all we have so far is Peterhead. could be anything.

we will just be useing semi autos 70mm standard.and as far as I know we are only shooting over decoys inland.cheers for the reply
The winchester canard ammo in32gram 4s Or RC hyperfast are good choices for close shots like you will be doing.

What you need to do is test several boxes of different cartridges in your auto and get together with your mates or encourage them to test their ammo too, pattern them at 40 yards should be suitable for your trip decoying, you could try different chokes in your gun if multi choke if not just test for pattern pick the most even tight pattern most pelets in 30inch looking for patterns that have a dense inner ten inch with no big voids in the outer ring if there are any voids as big as a cd you need to look again, spending time here is never wasted and with 50% in the inner 10 inch load is good for further than 40yards but more important you have the reassurance you can kill clean if you do your part well enough.

Dont be hung up on 4s either you could go for 3s 2s whatever looking at decent pattern is what is important. If its holding a good pattern with 3s go with them it is laborious but can be the difference between a good trip or a disappointment, and you owe it to the geese to make doubly sure what you are using is as good as you can get it.

I would like to say fair play to you as you asked the question in the first place which showed you all were being responsible straight out of the starting gate, this is the right attitude to have regardless of what you are hunting.

cheers for that Il deffenetly look into it and see what's best.i don't know why some people where getting worked up about me asking,It's a very straight question.thanks again

No one knows everything and asking questions is how to find out, and what the primary use of a good forum Sharing information.

And no matter how long you have done a thing or how experienced all have lots and lots to learn, it is developing your knowledge and therefore improving your capabilities which drives true sportsman.

I hope you all enjoy your adventure in to shooting geese i am sure even if you put just a little time into patterning you will undoubtedly reap the rewards in your results. That sense of achievement of a job well done is all worth wile..

• Like 1