Estimating Distance

Hi there.

Has anyone got any good methods of estimating the distance they are from their target.

I'm thinking specifically:

Air rifle hunting,

Difference between quarry sizes,

Use of Mil dot for estimation,

Speedy estimation,

Use of zoom as a tool for mil dot sizing,

Obviously, mathematics always has several ways up it's sleeve, but I'm interested in what works for you.

I'll be embarking on my first field outing soon after snagging my first permission. I'm well aware that the range is a whole different ball game from the field, and that getting your distance wrong even +/-5yd makes all the difference.

Interested to hear your views.

Cheers.

• Like 1

To be honest, I play safe and use a range finder except when I have left the bloody thing in the car then I just guess.

When I got my first perm, I put up markers on the area I was shooting in order to estimate distances but gave that up as range finders are not so expensive and easily available on ebay, no brainer really.

Phil

• Like 3

Hi there.

Has anyone got any good methods of estimating the distance they are from their target.

I'm thinking specifically:

Air rifle hunting,

Difference between quarry sizes,

Use of Mil dot for estimation,

Speedy estimation,

Use of zoom as a tool for mil dot sizing,

Obviously, mathematics always has several ways up it's sleeve, but I'm interested in what works for you.

I'll be embarking on my first field outing soon after snagging my first permission. I'm well aware that the range is a whole different ball game from the field, and that getting your distance wrong even +/-5yd makes all the difference.

Interested to hear your views.

Cheers.

Experience my friend.

Without the use of tech, which is rare these days, experience is the only hope.

Rangefinding by eye, no matter what anyone says, is a damn art.

• Like 8

You came simply mark out your zero distance and stick a twig in the ground, or pile a bit of soil or grass up.....

Or you can use mil dots, on a fixed magnification level - "bracketing" - I only ever use 8x mag. At my zero distance an adult rabbits head measures 2 1/2 dots from nose to back of the head......any more and its nearer, any less, it's further away. Still takes some practise, but doesn't require any additional equipment.

• Like 4

Set targets out to different ranges ,,then practice,,,,practice,,,and practice some more until it comes as second nature to you ,,,as Rez has say,d its an art

I dont use tech its all in my head

My trouble is i get to close field craft is a must and im to good at it lol

and thats a good tip off BlackBriar as well works real good out in the field

congrats on the perm by the way .

Walk your perm with out the rifle find out where they are and where you need to be to take the shot if you had your rifle

get to know your land learn the prays habits and every nook and cranny of the land and it will come to you

every one shoots in a different stile not one is the same

its not just point the rifle and shoot there is a lot go,s into it before you let the shot away

and practice is your best friend

I remember when i could not hit a barn door if i threw the rifle at it lol

we dont just hit paper for fun

practice then transfer that practice to the field and you will soon have bags like this to

Mark iv put the pic up mate lol

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

post-63400-0-42041900-1505794451_thumb.jpg

post-63400-0-58964600-1505794510_thumb.jpg

post-63400-0-75883100-1505794567_thumb.jpg

post-63400-0-55969000-1505794651.jpg

post-63400-0-98484000-1505794759_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi there
There is a lot of good advice given here , but by your question no disrespect ment you should start target shooting first at a club range or tin cans on your permission to get the feel of things and see how different ranges alter how you hit the target .

The humane kill zone your aiming for is very small for a air rifle so get it wrong and you live with the concequences and the end of life for your quarry.

Buy a cheap range finder first to get you started and place your tins out and range them this will give you a true measurement and then mil them to see how different mags affect your mil ranging to be fair the distance you will hunt at and humanely kill quarry you will be on a low mag .

Go and walk your permission and see were your quarry comes out ,then see were you can hide up and look for for hides in different wind directions and access to these positions in different wind directions .

Have a play on Chairgun put in your details and a 1/2" kill zone then play with the scope picture you will see how your mil dots change with the different mag changes .

You have to remember the humane killing is your biggest requirement so practice practice then when you can consitantly hit the kill zone go and have a go ........

• Like 4

And if your lucky to have a fence line to shoot along , see what distance the posts are apart , some times helps

You will get there mate , but as the lads have said it only comes with practice,

Good luck , and happy hunting for the future , look forward to hearing about your exploits

Atb

• Like 3

I agree. I practiced for weeks at my club to make sure I could hit that half inch target every time at 25 yds. I then did as you have suggested and downloaded Chair Gun which taught me about pellet trajectory, distances and retained energy. Printed off a scope cap for my chosen pellet and then set off on my first hunt for the bunnies. the only thing none of this taught me was how to judge the bloody distance!!! So, not wanting to wound anything (cardinal sin in my book even though it will happen from time to time) I decided to invest in a small range finder and the world opened up to me. Now I could easily see where my beloved 25yds were and got to work. Needles to say, I am now much more confident at longer ranges but still use a rangefinder to be absolutely sure. Many of the guys on here are much more experienced than me but they all say the same. You just have to practice as much as you can and the confidence will grow but remember this. We all do things differently and you may have other ideas so please remain an individual and let us know the good and the bad of your experiences. You never stop learning!

Good luck and stay safe.

• Like 4

If in doubt dont pull the trigger otherwise stick some markers in the ground at various lengths and get out there and practice practice practice , no need for anything fancy a old empty shot gun shell a scots pine cone anything you can see pick up when your out

• Like 1

I love to get into a prone position and shoot from a static vantage point I'll have previously marked out with range markers. That's how I learned range estimation as a youngster just getting into seriously huntling with an air rifle.

If you are shooting rabbits along a hedgerow line as they would pop out into the open space from, take a 5-metre tape measure and mark out 10-metre intervals along the length where the rabbits are most actively entering and exiting the field from, with stones or fallen twigs and bits of branch and use them to mark out the range distances you can actually see.

Nothing obvious or intrusive like white posts and pegs! Just something natural and of an accurate measurement to help you estimate your ranges. In time, experience will take over. You'll have a preferred mag setting and zero-range distance on your scope and you'll instinctively know how close or far off your quarry has appeared from and appropriate elevation to take the shot.

Over 50 years of shooting and I still mark-out my likely rabbits-entry/exit spots. Rabbits and other vermin will never oblige us by popping up at precisely the range we would like them to. But they are creatures of habbit and can be expected to use the same points on your permission. And anything which can help you fix an accurate bearing of distance when they do, has to be a good help! :thumbs:

• Like 4

If most are Drivers on the Road and do Drive, then one sincerely hopes that they have a good Perception of Distance and Distances. I would say that we all have the ability with our eyes, just that most have forgotten how to judge those distances they see. But all other methods that help and work are also good.

SMILE

Be safe the next time one crosses the road.

All the very best for one and all.

• Like 1

A lot of good advice.

Get your rifle calibrated.

Treat yourself to a range finder - this will " teach your eyes" at estimating distances.

Practice at least a tin of pellets/ week in the field, not the garden :nono: .

You`ll be surprised how efficient you`ll become.

post-85710-0-90480800-1505978241.jpg

You must put the training in :good:

• Like 2