What Makes A Good Range ?

Never heard or seen this piss taking lark with air gun clubs but it did happen to me at a shotgun clay shoot near to me, "once".

It was an open shoot, all welcome, pay the fee for 100 clays and cartridges ( if you didn`t have them) plus £10 each into the prize money.( 50 gun limit).

I had no cartridges, so I asked for 100 cartridges, the friendly chap said - "which cartridges would one want Sir" ? to which I replied " those that go bang will do" - meant jokingly :laugh: .

Anyways all the plus two`s with a £10k shotgun each were there and me in the background with my £80 Jabali, s/s, non ejector, cheap wellies and torn camo jacket.

They all took their turns " pull " ! bang! bang! click - cartridges intantly ejected.

My turn,- Pull, bang ! bang ! giggling/ wtf,-while I removed the cartridges, who the fcuk is this clown was said also, ( I took note of who gave the remark) :yes: .

Well to cut a long story short I shot an 89/100 and won the competition "just"

1st = £300

2nd = £150

3rd = £50

I quietly went over to the guy that called me a fcuking clown and said "you v`s the fcuking clown" ? 10 shots each for £300 ?

His mates were chuckling away whilst he declined the offer and me smiling in his face.

I represented Rixton gun club many times after that day and I never saw a clique ever again there, a great club to be with.

atb Mark.

• Like 3

Never heard or seen this piss taking lark with air gun clubs but it did happen to me at a shotgun clay shoot near to me, "once".

It was an open shoot, all welcome, pay the fee for 100 clays and cartridges ( if you didn`t have them) plus £10 each into the prize money.( 50 gun limit).

I had no cartridges, so I asked for 100 cartridges, the friendly chap said - "which cartridges would one want Sir" ? to which I replied " those that go bang will do" - meant jokingly :laugh: .

Anyways all the plus two`s with a £10k shotgun each were there and me in the background with my £80 Jabali, s/s, non ejector, cheap wellies and torn camo jacket.

They all took their turns " pull " ! bang! bang! click - cartridges intantly ejected.

My turn,- Pull, bang ! bang ! giggling/ wtf,-while I removed the cartridges, who the fcuk is this clown was said also, ( I took note of who gave the remark) :yes: .

Well to cut a long story short I shot an 89/100 and won the competition "just"

1st = £300

2nd = £150

3rd = £50

I quietly went over to the guy that called me a fcuking clown and said "you v`s the fcuking clown" ? 10 shots each for £300 ?

His mates were chuckling away whilst he declined the offer and me smiling in his face.

I represented Rixton gun club many times after that day and I never saw a clique ever again there, a great club to be with.

atb Mark.

I know exactly the sort you mean Mark.

...... I used to have to deal with a lot of those wankers when I ran our Cirencester branch - their particular brand of arrogance makes me turn all 'council estate' and curt :yes:;)

• Like 4

Now I know a lot of you shoot at ranges, and it's never been my thing, but, what makes the difference between a good, bad or average range.

Reason for asking, I've been thinking about one at my place, I get a lot of folk asking me why I don't do it, and a good few saying they wish there was one local, although it's not my scene, I do agree we need one around here.

Personally, I can't see how they make enough money to stay open, hence seems to be a shortage in my neck of the woods

I don't know where in Bedfordshire you are, mate, but have you (or anyone else nearby) considered coming to Milton Keynes ?

We have a well established club totalling around 90 members, shooting an outdoor range, on a farm just north of the main town. Toilet facilities, small clubhouse and covered shooting point - rifles, pistols, all ages and abilities welcome.

We have qualified instructors (not that I don't think you'd need them !), and various competitions through the year. The club is target only, but we have many shotgun holders and a few active hunters among our number.

Membership is 50 quid a year all in !

And definitely no snobbery ! The atmosphere is relaxed and informal. The club is run for the sole benefit and enjoyment of the members. None of us treat it like our little empire - and I should know.....I'm the chairman !

Were open to visitors on Sunday mornings, and to members on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. You, and anyone else reading this, would be very welcome......

http://www.mkarc.net

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread BB, but I have a serious question on something on your club website re: trajectory. Hopefully someone can put me straight.

Assuming someone was using a 1/4" m.o.a scope at 100 yards, to move the point of impact by 1" he would need to dial in 4 clicks. 8 clicks at 50 yards, 16 at 25 etc.

Surely a m.o.a is fixed, regardless of whether you are using an airgun or a 338 lap mag? My question is why would the clicks adjustment be different for .22 or .177? When I'm zeroing my guns, I use that formula for everything from 22rf to 308, so wouldn't different cal airguns be the same? Or am I way off the mark?

Just something I was wondering about. Cheers.

Now I know a lot of you shoot at ranges, and it's never been my thing, but, what makes the difference between a good, bad or average range.

Reason for asking, I've been thinking about one at my place, I get a lot of folk asking me why I don't do it, and a good few saying they wish there was one local, although it's not my scene, I do agree we need one around here.

Personally, I can't see how they make enough money to stay open, hence seems to be a shortage in my neck of the woods

I don't know where in Bedfordshire you are, mate, but have you (or anyone else nearby) considered coming to Milton Keynes ?

We have a well established club totalling around 90 members, shooting an outdoor range, on a farm just north of the main town. Toilet facilities, small clubhouse and covered shooting point - rifles, pistols, all ages and abilities welcome.

We have qualified instructors (not that I don't think you'd need them !), and various competitions through the year. The club is target only, but we have many shotgun holders and a few active hunters among our number.

Membership is 50 quid a year all in !

And definitely no snobbery ! The atmosphere is relaxed and informal. The club is run for the sole benefit and enjoyment of the members. None of us treat it like our little empire - and I should know.....I'm the chairman !

Were open to visitors on Sunday mornings, and to members on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. You, and anyone else reading this, would be very welcome......http://www.mkarc.net

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread BB, but I have a serious question on something on your club website re: trajectory. Hopefully someone can put me straight.

Assuming someone was using a 1/4" m.o.a scope at 100 yards, to move the point of impact by 1" he would need to dial in 4 clicks. 8 clicks at 50 yards, 16 at 25 etc.

Surely a m.o.a is fixed, regardless of whether you are using an airgun or a 338 lap mag? My question is why would the clicks adjustment be different for .22 or .177? When I'm zeroing my guns, I use that formula for everything from 22rf to 308, so wouldn't different cal airguns be the same? Or am I way off the mark?

Just something I was wondering about. Cheers.

Straight answer ?

I've absolutely no idea !

I didn't write that and I've very little idea what it's all about. I'm not at all technically minded, if I'm honest.

I point a gun and pull the trigger........

• Like 1

Can't say fairer than that. :thumbs:

That's me all over ! Just twiddle the knobs until you can see clearly.

If I'm honest, the technical stuff goes over my head.......when I started shooting, I asked an innocent question "When you turn the turrets, why does the impact move, yet the crosshairs are fixed ?"

Unfortunately, I asked the wrong person......

15 minutes later, my eyes started glazing over and I began to nod off.....someone rescued me and later said "He could have just told you there's another set of moveable lenses inside the tube !"

I don't "do" technical !

• Like 1

If I'm honest, the technical stuff goes over my head.......when I started shooting, I asked an innocent question "When you turn the turrets, why does the impact move, yet the crosshairs are fixed ?"

15 minutes later, my eyes started glazing over and I began to nod off.....someone rescued me and later said "He could have just told you there's another set of moveable lenses inside the tube !"

I don't "do" technical !

You should make a note on your website. Don't bother asking the Chairman anything except the way to the toilets. :laugh:

There's no-one on this forum that I don't like the sound of. And the lads here I've actually met or spoken to are really lovely lads, all of you. There's a big difference between good natured, humourous banter and taking the piss for its own sake. That isn't funny, it's insulting.

And there's something peculiar about the British. We love to set up and create "Societies" out of pastimes in order to further them and promote fellowship of a shared interest, then, we love to ban people from them! (Golf clubs, ughh!)

I hate piss artists with a passion. I cannot abide rudeness in people. I'm really old fashioned but I value courtesy and politeness, especially to strangers. It's how I was brought up. Me mum's a lively 86 year old who loves parties and getting out and the shitty looks and sneers she gets from stuck-up nobodies just for enjoying herself, I just don't understand.

There's something about people who have to take the piss no matter what. You find these arses in all walks of life not just shooting clubs. Golf clubs are possibly the worse. I call it a show of trying to hide weaknesses and insecurities and character defects behind a facade of imagined wit.. . Nothing funny or witty about insulting someone.

Sorry for rambling a bit. But seeing lads here I know are natural gentlemen who'd help anyone out if they could, and reading how some bloody nobody thinks he can look down his shitty nose at them, gets me :censored: fuming!

My family showed and told me when as a child how to interact and treat others. AND THAT IS WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. This is Always the rule, until given when as an adult a reason not to do so. Even then think twice before mouth a deed is committed.

My air rifle is not better or any worse than yours, my happy time to be spent is just as valid as anyone's. And until or if I insult YOU or your Air Rifle then show ME some RESPECT when at the Range or off of it.

What Makes A Good Range or anything in life? For me it would be the people and a safe pleasant environment.

Just my Two Penneth

All the very best for you and Helen Simon. And all the very best for one and all

• Like 2

I don't "do" technical !

You should make a note on your website. Don't bother asking the Chairman anything except the way to the toilets. :laugh:

Or how to knock rabbits down out to 50 yards !

It may be the scots in me but why would i want to pay to go shoot some paper targets there no use to me i cant eat the bloody things , if its quiet we usually put the guns in the car and go to a quarry at the farm i can fire off the rimmy and my son does the airguns after a bit we swap guns check each others zero and head home