First Ferret Of The Season

Had them killed by foxes and feral cats in warrens but never lost one in 40 years and we don't use locators due to the tough ground here.People are just slackers.

If you hunt for profit, it is imperative that you do not leave too many ferrets behind enemy lines... :whistling:

The locator is a must have item,.. :yes:

The problem here Phil, is the ground in alot of places is in undigable so if you were to lose a ferret whether snake bite, stuck or whatever you would lose the locater as well :wallbash:

If the Rabbits can dig it then so can you.

Pft they only dig them in winter, you need a jack hammer, not a shovel. Ignorant comment!

:hmm:Get your drift...my fellow Ozzie Hunters,...

However,....having in the past,..hunted rabbits professionally for many years, I have a slightly different take on the use of locators...

Over the last five decades,..I've had to remove rabbits from vast Downland warrens, where they are ensconced, safe and sound,..frequently under eight to ten feet of chalk and flint,..plus tried to bolt them from under concrete slabs, motorway embankments,..land drains , footing of farm buildings and even busy tarmac roads,..this is a ridiculous task and frequently makes the actual digging process, extremely difficult. :yes:

Another awkward situation also arises, when you are working on a long blackthorn hedgerow...

Your partner can seldom see you, to communicate, what is happening, on his side and it is relatively easy to allow a ferret to wander, from one bury to another.

Often, the only indication you have that the ferret it out and about, is when you notice rabbits hitting long nets, fifty yards further along the hedgerow :blink:

The locator has been a godsend,...because even if you cannot dig down to retrieve a ferret,..at least it tells you,... where the fecker is... :laugh:

A lifetime of stories to impart upon this subject,...I must try and jot something down before my arthritic hands finally give way...

So many days spent standing on top of a Warren and also, many dark nights,.. watching and waiting, in anticipation of the bolt. :thumbs:

attachicon.gifDSC_0766.jpeg

Yes Phil, I do use them when needed, Usually in winter or heavy cover, common sense. Bit hard to carry a backhoe mate ;-)

Had them killed by foxes and feral cats in warrens but never lost one in 40 years and we don't use locators due to the tough ground here.People are just slackers.

If you hunt for profit, it is imperative that you do not leave too many ferrets behind enemy lines... :whistling:

The locator is a must have item,.. :yes:

The problem here Phil, is the ground in alot of places is in undigable so if you were to lose a ferret whether snake bite, stuck or whatever you would lose the locater as well :wallbash:

Isn't it amazing. Tools that do the job very well in one climate, can be totally useless in another. Would you say, that ferreting ain't as popular over there for this reason?

I just find them reassuring more than any thing when your on your own. I was ferreting some holes by a dual carriageway last year in a thick old hedge. The dog was tied because of the road so my extra pair of eyes/ears where out of commission. The bloody drone off the traffic was non stop. The ferret was gone some time and started to worry she slipped out and I hadn't heard her bells. A quick scan with the locator down either side found nothing so then I really started to worry. But when I crawled in I finally got a tick tick off the old box. Deep under the bank. So I just sat down till it the tick tick stopped at last then I new she was on the way out

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2