Sign in to follow this  
cragman

Painting Mdf

What's the best first coat of paint to put on MDF? I've had an MDF cupboard built in a bedroom and I want to paint it. What has anyone found to be the best for sealing? I intend to finish it with satinwood, thanks

You've heard the advertisement. 'Ronseal' it does what it says on the tin. Jok.

I'd just use two coats of 50/50 water and paint of your choice, and two full coats (with out the water).

• Like 1

I'd just use two coats of 50/50 water and paint of your choice, and two full coats (with out the water).

Proper stealth of THL... I thought I'll wander where I don't normally go and your everywhere :D

a good couple of coats with a good primer and sand with a fine grit something like a 400 grit between coats

Water causes mdf to swell , it ain't a good idea to paint mdf with a water based paint let alone a paint mixed 50/50 with water

Oil based primer undercoat 2 coats then top coat with satin wood oil based again.

You can normally tell the water based paint from oil based by how it says clean brushes

As in if it says clean brush with water then its water based.

Got to agree with the rest.... I use allot of mdf... Pva and water mix,good sand off then paint with whatever you want.

Proper stealth of THL... I thought I'll wander where I don't normally go and your everywhere :D

I paint when it's to wet to get out. :laugh:

Water causes mdf to swell , it ain't a good idea to paint mdf with a water based paint let alone a paint mixed 50/50 with water

It's a thin coat of paint, he's not leaving it to soak over night.

• Like 1

Interior primer stuff you use in between gloss