Unusual Rabbit!

It was my first real test of a heat treated frizzen on this gun and it passed the test but as per most production reproduction pieces the frizzen spring is to heavy!

I also recently bought some tiny glass jars with cork stoppers for pre measured measures of shot and powder. Worked well too.

Any way I got some rabbit between the showers in the grand time that is September.

76uyv4es.jpg

What was strange today was what fell out of my first rabbit as I gutted it!

Two pebble like masses fell out!

emlbycl6.jpg

Intrigued by it I cut one open!

To my amazement they contained two dead and well preserved unborn infants! In their own sacks and completely unattached to any other organ! I have never seen this before in over 35years of rabbit hunting!

Never a dull moment in the woods.

Yours truly.

hfqk842s.jpg

• Like 4

It was my first real test of a heat treated frizzen on this gun and it passed the test but as per most production reproduction pieces the frizzen spring is to heavy!

I also recently bought some tiny glass jars with cork stoppers for pre measured measures of shot and powder. Worked well too.

Any way I got some rabbit between the showers in the grand time that is September.76uyv4es.jpg

Two pebble like masses fell out!emlbycl6.jpg

To my amazement they contained two dead and well preserved unborn infants! In their own sacks and completely unattached to any other organ! I have never seen this before in over 35years of rabbit hunting!

Yours truly.hfqk842s.jpg

rabbits can self abort there young when shortage of food etc etc

Any way I got some rabbit between the showers in the grand time that is September.76uyv4es.jpg

Two pebble like masses fell out!emlbycl6.jpg

Yours truly.hfqk842s.jpg

Sure but these were inside the rabbits abdomen freely moving around attached to nothing!

Two pebble like masses fell out!emlbycl6.jpg[/url

Yours truly.hfqk842s.jpg

Sure but these were inside the rabbits abdomen freely moving around attached to nothing!

O right yea bit weird that one

I've come across a few calcified rabbit foetuses and always assumed they are similar to the petrified babies that are found in some unfortunate women.

In these cases a baby has for some reason died in the woman's body,sometimes having developed outside the womb, and has failed to be expelled. This can lead to dangerous infections but sometimes the mother's defence mechanisms isolate the foreign body by encapsulating it in calcium.

As doe rabbits often self-absorb unborn young up three-quarters of the way through gestation rather than abort by early expulsion the mechanics might not be quite the same as in humans.

However I presume that a doe can only successfully re-absorb foetuses that are still alive or at least in a reasonable condition and connected by healthy placenta to the mother's tissues.

A dead baby with a degraded connection to the mother's system might not be absorbed and hence become mummified.

Only my theory !

Edited by comanche

I've come across a few calcified rabbit foetuses and always assumed they are similar to the petrified babies that are found in some unfortunate women.

In these cases a baby has for some reason died in the woman's body,sometimes having developed outside the womb, and has failed to be expelled. This can lead to dangerous infections but sometimes the mother's defence mechanisms isolate the foreign body by encapsulating it in calcium.

As doe rabbits often self-absorb unborn young up three-quarters of the way through gestation rather than abort by early expulsion the mechanics might not be quite the same as in humans.

However I presume that a doe can only successfully re-absorb foetuses that are still alive or at least in a reasonable condition and connected by healthy placenta to the mother's tissues.

A dead baby with a degraded connection to the mother's system might not be absorbed and hence become mummified.

Only my theory !

Rings true from what I have read so far. Thanks.

U.

Edited by Underdog

Aye had a few when gutting them found these lumps once cut one open and its a calcified kit thats going to be reabsorbed always thought it was after they had mated and the weather had turned hard frost up here again

Aye had a few when gutting them found these lumps once cut one open and its a calcified kit thats going to be reabsorbed always thought it was after they had mated and the weather had turned hard frost up here again

Cheers, so it's quite normal then.

Learn something every day......

U.

Normal for the natural way of things, just that you was not in the correct place and time to see it. Happens with and all life on Earth

In just my opinion.

All you own re predication Fire Arms Underdog? Well done

All the very best

Edited by just-A-snap

Normal for the natural way of things, just that you was not in the correct place and time to see it. Happens with and all life on Earth

In just my opinion.

All you own re predication Fire Arms Underdog? Well done

All the very best

I only have reproduction muzzleloaders yes.

U.

• Like 1