Terriers Will Be The Death Of Me.

That's a pretty amateurish thing to say I think Stopend. Every animal is different. Some are dumb and will let the dog work away and some know what's coming and won't sit still for any dog until a couple of hours run about.

Lol.. an amateurish thing to say? .. i guess im an ameture then..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why do we put ourselves through hell by keeping the little b*****ds ? My daughters away working with horses and has left me minding her bitch , Tanner, with instructions not to dig to her. Tanner ne

It's called character

In Ireland properly conducted terrier work will be trusted terrier men monitoring farms where they have been doing well over 25 years you know these farmers there land and burrows intimately, if its d

I take it that the pair of you have never had a good dog. Oh well stick to bitching lads and who's the cleverest,,,,,,. Need I say it.

that wasn't a dig at yous and I believe you would had and saw good dogs . Just wanted you see what you'd say to each other lol.

Yes I think it is an amateur thing to say.

In Ireland properly conducted terrier work will be trusted terrier men monitoring farms where they have been doing well over 25 years you know these farmers there land and burrows intimately, if its done correctly and land is re-instated as found and fences and stock & quarry are treated with respect its a social thing they love to see you coming and if you haven't been in a while ask why not and many love to spare and hour or 2 to come with you.

On all these farms if possible from next week on work per-mitten we will be working terriers three days a week we may visit each farm 3 times in the short season we work, you know what times of the year farmers going to be there at the yard or if he will be far away or his wife will know you or his sons so just knock on back door if someone's in the house. what hole is most likely to hold a fox from depending on weather time of the day and how long you last visited, the entrances the one or 2 -3 eyes the fox is likely to bolt, what eye nets best and even what way to approach the burrows, if you strike, in what part if your likely to get the run around for ten mins or what end and depth they will more than likely run to if he wants to stay... is that end tight is it a massive end and during the discussion to a farm we will discuss the burrows and the age and experience of dog to be used and weather its time for a young dog to step up his working ethic and be tried in certain places... the tools you need for the particular holes your trying and the substrate you will be digging and if im going visiting then the different parts of country I do visit the only 2 other terriermen I go to will be the same. Its called Fieldcraft son.

So ill tell you what I think is amateur after years of working terriers a lot, terrier work in Northern Ireland was work...it was the only work available for the older men who I went out with and keep you sane late 80s early 90s and nearly still now and it wont be long till 2020...if you believed back then I thought id be doing burrows by now in a jet pack. seen all the big lines names purchased and worked from the usual suspects and legends and what I like to see in a terrier that's all its called progression.

, so now a days standing around for 2 hours listening to a terrier run around after a fox especially in Irish weather. even The fox knows this that's why he will be under NO pressure and play peek a boo with the terrier for if he was under pressure he would bolt this is how you get to test all my waterproofs lol, lie down on the grass or banking and chill such and such will only get a result quick sharp if this fox is green.

when a terrier and the fox meets nose to nose for the first time in a burrow they will speak and will get the 2 inch wires driven straight into his muzzle and be bitten very hard, this is the so called stand off posture, the fox trying to deter the terrier with its authority and its after these first few minutes of tustle when you will get a bolt if the fox can bully his way past your hypnotic barker then he will and be gone... if he doesn't bolt he knows he can bully rush your hypnotic anytime so will happily play tig with them round and round until your terrier has run him to a stop...he has them there 10 mins in a stop...you have the mark you start to open up...fox knows so rushes your terrier again and again the terrier lets him past because if a fox wants to rush your terrier its going to take a lot more than a bark to anchor him up and if he doesn't want to bolt I repeat he will be under NO pressure. The terrier has to put him under pressure.

so this goes on for 2 sometimes 3 hours and he finally gets him bottled up and you dig him...fair enough he has stayed with the fox and accounted for him Eventually..... you put in a good working terrier he and fox will meet nose to nose first time terrier will also speak to mark then receive the same teeth but his only sole purpose will be to drive forward all the time making his fox retreat backwards everytime.. the good terrier will know when the fox has been backed into a stop for this will be the time he will receive a barrage of head bumps and savage bites from the fox...he shrugs them off and goes forward still keeping the fox from moving forward but in his genetic make up over 200 years will be to overwhelm him with their mindset , making the fox realize that he has been dominated and in his wild state of mind will submit to the terrier and the terrier can then bark him the riot act... he has the handcuffs on him and hes in custody...and knowing his job he just has to control him to Sargent major comes through on top of him and book him.

• Like 8

Good write up fella!. The be experts after reading that not amatuers.

lol what man that works terriers leaves a dog lose in the back of a van when there is a box in it for it.then puts vermin in the front of van knowing well a terrier is lose in the back of it.and u call johnny bluck a plonker
  • Like 1

But if you failed with the first terrier and then the second terrier went in and got the job done, then it's obvious the first terrier isn't upto scratch? Surely?

What I am saying is EVERY animal we dig is different. Some are green, some won't play ball and some just take the fight to the dog. The ones that get released after being dug to go one way or the other, they either become harder to dig or they become almost docile and let the dog work them.

We can think we know every earth in and out and give our logic and thoughts on what's going on, but really we are just guessing.

The way I see it, no matter how good a dog is, if they're put into different places throughout their career, then most will be straight forward but some will really test the dog, the game will constantly be on it's toes and really test the dogs nose and drive and they're the ones that test the dogs and let you know what you have IMO.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
  • Like 4

Yes I think it is an amateur thing to say.

In Ireland properly conducted terrier work will be trusted terrier men monitoring farms where they have been doing well over 25 years you know these farmers there land and burrows intimately, if its done correctly and land is re-instated as found and fences and stock & quarry are treated with respect its a social thing they love to see you coming and if you haven't been in a while ask why not and many love to spare and hour or 2 to come with you.

On all these farms if possible from next week on work per-mitten we will be working terriers three days a week we may visit each farm 3 times in the short season we work, you know what times of the year farmers going to be there at the yard or if he will be far away or his wife will know you or his sons so just knock on back door if someone's in the house. what hole is most likely to hold a fox from depending on weather time of the day and how long you last visited, the entrances the one or 2 -3 eyes the fox is likely to bolt, what eye nets best and even what way to approach the burrows, if you strike, in what part if your likely to get the run around for ten mins or what end and depth they will more than likely run to if he wants to stay... is that end tight is it a massive end and during the discussion to a farm we will discuss the burrows and the age and experience of dog to be used and weather its time for a young dog to step up his working ethic and be tried in certain places... the tools you need for the particular holes your trying and the substrate you will be digging and if im going visiting then the different parts of country I do visit the only 2 other terriermen I go to will be the same. Its called Fieldcraft son.

So ill tell you what I think is amateur after years of working terriers a lot, terrier work in Northern Ireland was work...it was the only work available for the older men who I went out with and keep you sane late 80s early 90s and nearly still now and it wont be long till 2020...if you believed back then I thought id be doing burrows by now in a jet pack. seen all the big lines names purchased and worked from the usual suspects and legends and what I like to see in a terrier that's all its called progression.

, so now a days standing around for 2 hours listening to a terrier run around after a fox especially in Irish weather. even The fox knows this that's why he will be under NO pressure and play peek a boo with the terrier for if he was under pressure he would bolt this is how you get to test all my waterproofs lol, lie down on the grass or banking and chill such and such will only get a result quick sharp if this fox is green.

when a terrier and the fox meets nose to nose for the first time in a burrow they will speak and will get the 2 inch wires driven straight into his muzzle and be bitten very hard, this is the so called stand off posture, the fox trying to deter the terrier with its authority and its after these first few minutes of tustle when you will get a bolt if the fox can bully his way past your hypnotic barker then he will and be gone... if he doesn't bolt he knows he can bully rush your hypnotic anytime so will happily play tig with them round and round until your terrier has run him to a stop...he has them there 10 mins in a stop...you have the mark you start to open up...fox knows so rushes your terrier again and again the terrier lets him past because if a fox wants to rush your terrier its going to take a lot more than a bark to anchor him up and if he doesn't want to bolt I repeat he will be under NO pressure. The terrier has to put him under pressure.

so this goes on for 2 sometimes 3 hours and he finally gets him bottled up and you dig him...fair enough he has stayed with the fox and accounted for him Eventually..... you put in a good working terrier he and fox will meet nose to nose first time terrier will also speak to mark then receive the same teeth but his only sole purpose will be to drive forward all the time making his fox retreat backwards everytime.. the good terrier will know when the fox has been backed into a stop for this will be the time he will receive a barrage of head bumps and savage bites from the fox...he shrugs them off and goes forward still keeping the fox from moving forward but in his genetic make up over 200 years will be to overwhelm him with their mindset , making the fox realize that he has been dominated and in his wild state of mind will submit to the terrier and the terrier can then bark him the riot act... he has the handcuffs on him and hes in custody...and knowing his job he just has to control him to Sargent major comes through on top of him and book him.

thats all an ideal scenario. If you go to a big place your lucky if your dog catches it in a stop in 10 minutes. sometimes it will take a dog an hour or so to make any contact with the quarry just due to the vast amount of travelling required and the quarries experience. And even if the dog pushes forward and never back if the game will only stay mid tube you have to be patient for a result. Ive no issue with waiting for a result as long as the dog is working and not sitting back. But i agree the first dog you describe will let you down from time to time.

lol what man that works terriers leaves a dog lose in the back of a van when there is a box in it for it.then puts vermin in the front of van knowing well a terrier is lose in the back of it.and u call johnny bluck a plonker

I so

But if you failed with the first terrier and then the second terrier went in and got the job done, then it's obvious the first terrrier isn't upto scratch? Surely?

What I am saying is EVERY animal we dog is different. Some are green, some won't play ball and some just take the fight to the dog. The ones that get released after being dug to go one way or the other, they either become harder to dig or they become almost docile and let the dog work them.

We can think we know every earth in and out and give our logic and thoughts on what's going on, but really we are just guessing.

The way I see it, no matter how good a dog is, if they're put into different places throughout their career, then most will be straight forward but some will really test the dog, the game will constantly be on it's toes and really test the dogs nose, drive and they're the ones that test the dogs and let you know what you have IMO.

your very last statement is exacly what im on about the stand off and final outcome will happen in the first few mins once they meet...not hours .. and no terrier failed I give you example of terriers lol...

I know Yes. I thought I was a dreamer the same about twenty years ago. But then again I never had a silver spoon for a set up like that

I so

But if you failed with the first terrier and then the second terrier went in and got the job done, then it's obvious the first terrrier isn't upto scratch? Surely?

What I am saying is EVERY animal we dog is different. Some are green, some won't play ball and some just take the fight to the dog. The ones that get released after being dug to go one way or the other, they either become harder to dig or they become almost docile and let the dog work them.

The way I see it, no matter how good a dog is, if they're put into different places throughout their career, then most will be straight forward but some will really test the dog, the game will constantly be on it's toes and really test the dogs nose, drive and they're the ones that test the dogs and let you know what you have IMO.

your very last statement is exacly what im on about the stand off and final outcome will happen in the first few mins once they meet...not hours .. and no terrier failed I give you example of terriers lol...
But what if they meet mid tube then the game gets it's wheels on and gives the run about for 2 hours without facing again?
  • Like 1

I so

Here's another one who's only ever dug 1 hole I take it...another hero. We're in the 21st century if it was all as easy as you make it out to be then it wouldn't be enjoyable. Ffs talk some sense

• Like 3

100% right there undertaker .