.22 Hornet Load Development - 40Gr Vmax With Ppu & Lil Gun

I've settled on a load for the .22 hornet using 40gr vmax and12.7gr Lil Gun, PPU brass, with a COL 1.880 crimped, giving me half decent results, it's a compressed load, I tried small pistol and small rifle primers and both gave similar results, although the small rifle primers gave a slightly higher POI due to velocity increase.

22hornet.png

• 2 months later...
On 26/11/2017 at 17:15, IanB said:

@Elliott just tried same load crimped vs uncrimped, the uncrimped was under 1/2” still, crimped much better, at 100yds. 4 shot group.

1AF84566-650C-42F1-AF63-5E64D1B84CAA.jpeg

Nice. Based on those results, I'll probably buy a Lee Crimp Die and give that a whirl with the 40gr V-Max! 

20 hours ago, IanB said:

Are you neck or full length sizing?

Full length resizing. Could probably do with getting some fresh brass. I'm still on the original Winchester brass from a couple of years ago! Lil Gun seems so low in pressure that they last forever. 

Must try a crimp die though. I'll get one ordered this weekend I think. 

On 03/12/2017 at 13:16, walshie said:

I've never crimped but it certainly seems to work. Does crimping reduce the life of the brass?

I've reloaded some winchester brass around 8 times crimping each time and there still spot on.

• 5 months later...