Back On The Cheap Ammo Again!

The local RFDs do not stock Daystate Heavies/JSB Exact Heavy, so I tried remembering what used to work well in my old Mk 3 carbine. I started to have the usual problems with the JSB pellets of them being good, but now seem to be going off the boil accuracy wise.

Defiant Ogives were the best performing, but they came from Pax in London who sold out to H&N who do not seem to make them any more.

Then I remembered the pellet I was using at first, Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums, they always grouped well, find some and see what they perform like in the BBR.

Well the gun shop at Whittlesey did not have any in, sold out, but he had a few parcels from the wholesalers and he ripped through them. No Ultra Magnums, but he did have some Premier Domed 10.5, oh well, bottom of the quality chain but hey, worth trying a couple of tins.

Power was up so instead of 11.15 it is now ticking over at 11.42 ft lb!

Accuracy. Can only test at 15 metres in the back garden, but at that range single hole groups from the first magazine through, so happy with that.

Cost per tin of 500? £8.50, cheapskate rolls again!

Hi Mike.

If you are finding it hard to locate just the right pellet for your rifles, give ebay a look (Yeah I know, dreaded fleabay!) and put your choices of pellet into the searches box and see if you come up with "Sundon Model Shop" (sundonmodelshop) or Volmyr.

These stores have just the pellet you'll be wanting. Give them a look-over.

Cheers mate.

Simon

Simon I got my last lot of Daystate Heavies from Sundon Models. Thing is JSB seem to have fits and starts, they are alright for a while, then go off the boil in terms of quality. I have used JSB for a year or so, but this last lot of heavies seem to be 90% good, 10% problematic, skirts are not deformed, appear ok, but they will group ok but 10% of shots go off in a random direction and seeing as I gave up booze a few years ago now, it ain't me!

Trying to see what I can get locally too because hey, a local gun shop is always nice to have!

• Like 1

MIKE IF YOU WANT SOME 177 JSB HEAVYS I CAN GET SOME FOR YOU FROM MY LOCAL SHOOTING RANGE MATE .

NEXT WEEK END

PM ME YOUR ADDY AND ILL SEND YOU A TIN DOWN BUD

ATVBJIMMY :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

No thanks Jimmy,

Have tried them, same problems as Daystate Heavies (same thing different label). I am going back to my old love of Crosman. They always used to work well in the first .177 S10, only gave them up because Ogives were better, now no more Ogives, so after a brief flirtation with JSB pellets, back to Crosman!

As you can see after I walked the impact onto target they group well enough, they are slightly more efficient in terms of power and they group well and these are the cheapest in the Premier range, Ultra Magnums would be better but he had none in the shop. May give her Ultra Mags next time I am after pellets, but until then the Domed will do.

They are accurate enough to thread between branches when roost shooting!

what does the price of pellets matter they come least in my list after the gun, fieldcraft ,and placement ?.

I have tried JSB and found them wanting.

The Ogives are not available anymore.

Crosman Domed are available, wish they were Ultra Magnums, but they are not. They are also accurate, group well and do not have as many fliers as JSB.

I just call them cheap because they are!