How's Everyone's Season Started

f**k me lads considering it was a pup of 14 months old I reckon we didn't do to bad the important thing to me was getting there quick not advanced aesthetics of round or square holes get a grip

Just trying to give u a bit positive advise lee you'll come stuck keep digging holes like that after a certain depth start off square and keep it the same all the way down with out narrowing will be quicker in the long run , rather than sliding half a shovel load up the wall of a narrow coned dig!

Up to you tho you seem an exerpt after 5 mins with terriers

Under normal circumstances I would dig a square hole but because it was a pup to ground speed was of utmost importance to ME
  • Like 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be plenty about up my way everywhere we try is holding and normally we struggle a bit early on. Have 3 pups started 2 have 2 digs under there belt and another has one dig. Couldn't be happie

Had a morning out thought I'd give poppy a spin in a place we thought was 1.5 ish according to last time well 3.2m and 4 hours later she had well impressed me at 14 months

Just get a mini digger.........  

Posted Images

f**k me lads considering it was a pup of 14 months old I reckon we didn't do to bad the important thing to me was getting there quick not advanced aesthetics of round or square holes get a grip

It's nothing to do with aesthetics pal,

You can dig your " round hurry up holes " and miss the tube then your going to have to start again doubling the time it takes to get to your pup, your going to learn the hard way. Lads on here just trying to give you some of there experienced sound advice.

• Like 1

Just trying to give u a bit positive advise lee you'll come stuck keep digging holes like that after a certain depth start off square and keep it the same all the way down with out narrowing will be quicker in the long run , rather than sliding half a shovel load up the wall of a narrow coned dig!

Up to you tho you seem an expert after 5 mins with terriers

NO 5 feet im no expert or ever claimed to be every time I go out I learn something about either myself my dogs or the quarry and I doubt I'll ever stop learning I should imagine it takes a life time or more to be able to consider your self an expert I do how ever know how to dig a hole and as I have said I do normally dig a square hole . I normally dig the hole about 6 inches longer than my shovel coz I hate banging my knuckles how ever on this occasion I don't mind admitting I got in a bit of a flap because of age of dog and depth on box .so what I learnt that day about me was I my be prone to flapping a little over the safety of my wards .what I learnt about my dog that day is she ain't gonna make a sound even when things get hot.what I learnt about the quarry don't under estimate it Edited by leethedog
  • Like 2

Can't beat THL for a full blown debate over a photo. Sounds like the young bitch did well Lee, just goes to show we can never be certain how deep an earth will be.

Hence the reason for giving yourself plenty of room to work in a square / rectangular hole. I think the round hole thing come from having a ferreting back ground. I don't see a debate here all I see is advice being given out, and your man taking it as criticism,

maybe try and lighten up........" my main man ".

• Like 1

Can't beat THL for a full blown debate over a photo. Sounds like the young bitch did well Lee, just goes to show we can never be certain how deep an earth will be.

Hence the reason for giving yourself plenty of room to work in a square / rectangular hole. I think the round hole thing come from having a ferreting back ground. I don't see a debate here all I see is advice being given out, and your man taking it as criticism,

you have a rough idea how deep your going coz the box tells you or am I sounding to big for my boots saying that lol

you have a rough idea how deep your going coz the box tells you or am I sounding to big for my boots saying that lol

Well as has been said numerous times this is THL.

It is a good place to ask questions and put the odd photo up always with location settings off lol your a big boy and you know there's a bit of leg pulling goes on, take it all with a pinch of salt. Your doing ok with your two pups and I know your keen and your getting a real buzz from the progress they're making, try and keep the flapping to a minimum as your dogs will pick up on this. Slowly slowly catch the ?.

As for the box your right it does tell you give or take how deep you want to go, but foxes haven't read the fox earth digging manual lol. Your dog can be sitting nose too nose with the red chap but not in a stop end, the dog can be in a level part of the tube and the fox lying at the start of say a 33 degree angle sloping downwards you break through the fox moves but you've boxed it clever because at the start of the dig You gave yourself a good bit of room. Look at posts as advice and not criticism unless they're ripping the piss then get f@cked into they THL c@nts lol. Enjoy your terriers.

• Like 4

I gave some lads who I'd never met or spoken too, a hand few years back to rescue 2 young dogs that dropped to ground without collars, 3 days they spent digging it with no luck, 4th day myself and a good friend travelled up to give them a hand, collard up a little Russell bitch and got a mark at 7.3 m, it is what it is.... We dug the depth, found the young bitch in a bad way, kept digging for the dog, he wasn't that lucky. You put a dog in then you do your best to retrieve it by any means... I remember the experts on here putting in their 10 bobs worth, not one got off their arse to help mind lol giving advice from the computer jokers, I knew from that day on that 90% of them on here talk the talk, but don't walk the walk, f**k me the one clown even had a thread pinned with the rest of the knob heads commenting stuck to his arse, bunch of f***ing old washer women. Atb dcpost-99494-0-91278400-1506377836_thumb.jpgthe only digging most of them do is in the head or digging in the arm.

• Like 8

I don't do a great deal with terriers myself at the moment but have in the past and only bushing and ratting, I'm more for lurchers. My little brother has both terriers and lurchers and we went for a mooch earlier today. We took both his terriers and both my lurchers. He's got a very game and strong lakey type dog and a real small tight nuttall bred patterdale bitch, I've got a wheaten whippet greyhound bitch and a first cross wheaten greyhound dog pup. We was out no longer than half hour and his lakey went to ground in thick thorny bramble brier in a kicked out old rabbit warren. After an hour and half he came out and it was visible, what he had been up to all that time. Our kid said let him back in and he will bring it out......yeah whatever, didnt beleive him, back in went his dog and a few minutes later we could hear him growling near the entrance and the next thing I see was him attached to the reason he dissapeared for an hour and half. I couldn't beleive he brought it out. First 1 I've ever done with terriers, and to think this dog was a freebie off a hunts terrierman cos it would only work above ground apparently. Think its give me the bug, wouldn't mind maybe getting a good bitch?????