Age Of Stud

If you use him on bitches he'll be fine, it's a case of use it or loose it

Absolutely, if he can do the job and is tried and tested, use him.

I wouldn't breed of an old bitch though unless she was in great nick for her age.

Like this one at 12 years old, she'll be 13 in November post-55605-0-23306800-1504597780_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

does using an old dog for a stud, [12], have any drawbacks, ie low sperm count, weak pups or anything?

A mate used my dog at 12 yr old to a 6 yr old bitch and she had a good strong healthy litter. If the dogs fit and healthy and is everything you like in a working terrier then use him mate.
  • Like 4

I've see 12/13 dogs cover younger bitchs and they threw healthy enough litter but a vet will tell handy enough I brought me old dog to a vet last year before I tried him on a bitch but age had caught him vet says he have the gun but no ammunition lol.

• Like 1

the older stud does give rise to possible genetic defects in the pups just as older men fathering children can lead to genetic faults in their off spring. A dog I had that was a very popular stud produced pups in his older years that had a particular gennetic defect that pups he produced when a young dog did not have.

get straws drawn from ur good dog .i was humming and hawning about doing it, just as well i did because i lost a important dog at the tail end of last yr.i can go back and get his straws for a bitch in 10 to15 yrs time.old age never becomes a problem then.

• Like 3

If you use him on bitches he'll be fine, it's a case of use it or loose it

Absolutely, if he can do the job and is tried and tested, use him.

I wouldn't breed of an old bitch though unless she was in great nick for her age.

Like this one at 12 years old, she'll be 13 in November attachicon.gif20170523_161733-1.jpg

That's it, worked hard but treated like Royalty, the way it should be and they should live well into retirement.

Some families of terriers seem to have reputation for longevity. I don't know about nowadays but the Park dogs a few years ago had a rep for working and breeding late in life.

It's a good thing. If you're lucky enough to have a great terrier who's bred from late in life then in theory you could be working his grandsons/ daughters over 20 years after the great dog was born. That's 2 generations whereas it would usually be 4,or 5 generations in that time and the great dogs genes would be well watered down at that stage.

I plan on still being a stud well into old age myself.

• Like 5