Let's See Your Dogs Fitness Regimes!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

whatever you do, take care of their feet. If you shine a pad, back off. if you blow a pad he's done for longer than you think. Trim his nails, if you shell one you're in for a delay, don't forget t

Don't think there's any short cuts to it I think a good 6 weeks getting them right with road work and trotting them on a push bike sets em up for a start and then a work them and there fitness will pe

Posted Images

I`ve kept my dog fit over the summer.Loads of walks and free running BUT I took him out lamping last night and he caught a few rabbits and missed a few.He was blowing hard after some runs. I was happy with it as a first night out on the lamp this season.To me you can only get em proper fit by working them regularly.

• Like 2

Your username should have a question mark after it rather than an exclaimation mark.

Hahaha good shout...remember when you was a kid and your parents were like "Do not let the dogs out!" because you had an out of control menace to society Dogs and your a kid with a strong heart for equal rights canine and otherwise. Your dogs are there at the door looking at you like please just let us run this neighbourhood We'll be back soon.... pinky promise. Then you open the door and let he dogs free. Mum comes down the stairs see's the door open and shouts " Who let the dogs out! " ;)

Read skycats post at the top of page fitness and conditioning won't go far off getting a dog fit then just adjust it when you get to know your dog and depending on how much work it gets through the season

I've read the book by Penny Taylor and it's a good read. just seeing if anyone has any out of the box kind of training which gives a different approach to getting there dogs really fit fast.

Don't think there's any short cuts to it I think a good 6 weeks getting them right with road work and trotting them on a push bike sets em up for a start and then a work them and there fitness will peak

I get what your saying. What sort of mileage on the road and how often do you do road work. Just that a lot of people differ.

whatever you do, take care of their feet.

If you shine a pad, back off.

if you blow a pad he's done for longer than you think.

Trim his nails, if you shell one you're in for a delay, don't forget the dewclaw either.

Worm em, deflea em.

Feed em added meat.

You can swim em, road em, treadmill em and get them legged up and at a hard weight, but you got to get a blow out of em to start getting the lungs and heart ready to hold a course. No matter how good of road shape I get on em, the first few hard blows show you how far off they really are from "running shape"

. Don't overheat em too soon in the year, be where you can cool em off (pond or stock tank) if they run too hard

just a few well meant tips, more to remind myself than anything else

• Like 13

ive seen someone on here mention doing recovery training, have you heard of this? I'm guessing it's going to be some kind of sprint and recover using lure possibly.

You can do it on the bike. Start with just two or three miles at trot if the dog's unfit. After 2 or 3 weeks, or when the dogs used to it, increase to 5, still at the trot.

When they can do this easily you can start on the recovery. Trot a mile or so to warm up then increase to a canter or gallop. When they're puffed go back to trot and let them recover while still trotting. Don't forget to walk a bit before home to let the blood flush through their muscles. Also don't gallop them on tarmac or you'll wear their pads sore and set the whole thing back. They need a green lane or a wide verge on a quiet road for the gallop bit.

Now having said all that they still won't be properly fit 'til they've run a few early season rabbits.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 2

In the greyhound world it's walking leads to galloping, galloping leads to trialing, and trialing leads to racing by the time your dogs running races it should be pretty fit. All you have to do is monitor there health and keep them fresh in between racing shortwalks the occasional canter in the field. So once you got your dog lamping or whatever regular nothing much is required