Horses And Cattle

I used to think it was just me who was wary of going in a field with cattle. One of the local sheep farmers had to go in a field with beef cattle to retrieve some of his sheep that had got under the fence and he was trampled. Broke both arms and a shoulder. :icon_eek:

Animals stampeding around in the dark worries me mostly because the daft sods could break some thing. If not me then them selves. Nothing worse than a horse thundering along in the pitch black so I just avoid them all if i can

My little jr when ferreting all ways herded cattle away a few yards by charging them and barking and swinging around and getting on with the job in hand.

He had a 6th sense though and all ways new if they weren't going to budge then he opted to just work the other side of the hedge. He also made sure he never got cut off. Wise little dog lol

Loads of times, not been chased like that many times but been surrounded loads lol

Dont mind cows much but some of them (beef) can be almost 6ft to the shoulder ffs

Recently lost a farm (through change of ownership) that had loads of hunters and race horses in about 10 five acre paddocks. Plenty of rabs but feck they were scary, some ignored you, others galloped about kicking there hind legs up in the air! Not too disappointed tbh :D

Cheers, D.

My little jr when ferreting all ways herded cattle away a few yards by charging them and barking and swinging around and getting on with the job in hand.

He had a 6th sense though and all ways new if they weren't going to budge then he opted to just work the other side of the hedge. He also made sure he never got cut off. Wise little dog lol

Good little trait for a dog to have but gotta be abit careful about encouraging in it sounds like your dog knew to only do it when there abit too close. My dog started doing it to horses wich i wasnt too happy about.

Yes I know what you mean Charlie. It did bother me to start but I noticed he only did it if they got close when he was marking. Then he fooked them off and went back to the hole. He only chased then back ten yards or so and often they would sod off then. If not he just went the other side of the hedge out the way Brainy fella. If me big black lad did that I would put stop to it he has enough ideas lol

Edited by terryd

Had to walk through a field of 6 or 7 horses to get to my traps. They used to charge down the field at me. I'd always get to a spot by a tree and stand behind it incase they decide to plough through me. Mrs told me if a horse ever charges me and their close to stand still and they will 99% if the time divert around you. She reckons theirs more chance of it running you over if you try and move from it, where as cows will run over you . Not sure if theirs truth in that tho. I don't plan on finding out

If a horse is running straight at you and you stand perfectly still there's a good chance you're going to die.

Horses can't see directly in front of them ,hence the reason you stand your ground, put your hands out to widen yourself and make some noise so it knows you're there. Then it will stop or go around you.

This thread shows that a lot of lads think the countryside is only about the quarry you're after.

It's a working environment just like a building site and has it's dangers and a herd of cattle or horses milling around in the dark could easily break a leg or a neck and that's a big hit someone has to take financially because someone who hasn't a clue has gone somewhere they shouldn't have.

• Like 3

Had to walk through a field of 6 or 7 horses to get to my traps. They used to charge down the field at me. I'd always get to a spot by a tree and stand behind it incase they decide to plough through me. Mrs told me if a horse ever charges me and their close to stand still and they will 99% if the time divert around you. She reckons theirs more chance of it running you over if you try and move from it, where as cows will run over you . Not sure if theirs truth in that tho. I don't plan on finding out

If a horse is running straight at you and you stand perfectly still there's a good chance you're going to die.

Horses can't see directly in front of them ,hence the reason you stand your ground, put your hands out to widen yourself and make some noise so it knows you're there. Then it will stop or go around you.

This thread shows that a lot of lads think the countryside is only about the quarry you're after.

It's a working environment just like a building site and has it's dangers and a herd of cattle or horses milling around in the dark could easily break a leg or a neck and that's a big hit someone has to take financially because someone who hasn't a clue has gone somewhere they shouldn't have.

feck me countryside 999 is off on one
  • Like 1

Fishing the river Ely by St Fagans 10 years ago or more I walked through a load of cows staying as close as I could to river bank, any way had a few hours catching roach and dace, on my way back to the car could see a load of police and paramedics in the field, some old dear had been trampled and killed, second time it had happened in that field in 6 months, this happened in daylight I try and avoid cows when out lamping and carry a stick they seem worse when they have calfs or they young bulls.mate used to have a handy presa bitch years ago that grabbed a bull that charged a young terrier, wouldn't leave go until the bull had dropped to its knees lol, mate stood there beating and cursing the dog lol, didn't go down that well with the farmer that was watching from a distance - needless to say we lost that little bit of permission, shame as it was on our door step. Atb dc