Last Knockings!

chrismdd

Well I haven't posted for a while now due to lots of jobs needed doing including replacing the headgasket for a second time on the Disco and looking after my two boys during the holidays. Also been doing quite a bit of sea and coarse fishing with just a few trips out shooting with the usual rabbits and odd squirrel.

However, today with a few hours to myself I managed to sneak away to try a bit of decoying on some recently harrowed stubble. May have left it a bit late but it would still be nice to be out in the September sun. Only took the bare minimum of kit so I could move quickly if needed and I would make a quick hide in the bottom of a hedge:

9lJ35ui.jpg

After fifteen minutes of walking from the house I was all set to go:

JMhxgkz.jpg

Took me a while to find a suitable method to raise the S410 so I could clear the raised edge of the field. With the sun initially high overhead there was a lot of darkness within the hedge to conceal myself with no camo net. Made sure I was covered up as the sun would eventually drop and remove the natural shadows:

W69NrDg.jpg

Soon the pigeons started coming over and the first to land was given a shot to the boiler room but it took off over the hedge behind me. Checked zero and all seemed okay. Started to notice pigeons dropping in the field behind me which in turn brought others in to join them. Eventually decided to possibly move over there so went to look for a suitable natural hide. Out in the field remained one pigeon stone dead the one I must of hit earlier and was now drawing them in. So picked it up and decided to stay put. Had a few more shots and put another three in the bag. However, lots were landing all over the field in odd pairs and not flocking together or joining the decoys. Time was getting on now and at 6:45pm I was about to start packing up when five woodies came wheeling in. They were quite spread out and I dropped the first one and the rest stayed so a quick second shot got another and still the others stayed so dropped a third, unbelievably one still remained but I hurried and fluffed the shot.

Waited another ten minutes with the sunset starting and a lone crow came in and landed well beyond the decoys. The wind had dropped to nothing so I gave 2-3 mildots holdover and got a resounding twack as the AA Field hit home, the crow took off low and made twenty yards before dropping stone dead. Paced out the shot and it was 65 yards:

Vtz4VVZ.jpg

Overall a nice little trip out for seven woodies and a crow and will be making pigeon pasties with the boys.

Chris

• Like 10

Nice to see you back here Chris. Always enjoyed your writings and a spell of shooting the woodies over the stubble is something I particularly enjoy at this time of the year. Lovely rifle you have here too. Always makes me wonder about where we've actually hit the bird that it flies off and covers a fair bit of distance before it drops dead in the field. I'm sure I've hit a few woodies dead in the head and still they take off and fly before they drop.....

That looks a really well-chosen hide you set yourself up in, over the deeks on a lovely plot of land. Can't beat a day out like this, can you mate?!

And pigeon pasties with your lads. Sounds about like perfect.

all the best to you mate.

Simon

• Like 1