Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Poison


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The one

The one

    Honorary Life President of the THL New Member Welcoming Committe

  • Donator
  • 39,070 posts
  • Location:fiji

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:38 pm

It seems every pound shop to B&Q has mouse and rat poison is it worth a toss ? i usually put a few breakback traps in the shed round the dog food bags and get a few mice would some of these cheap bait boxes be okay would it kill them or just give them a hangover headache 



#2 unclepesta

unclepesta

    Mega Hunter

  • Donator
  • 323 posts
  • Location:AT WORK

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:44 am

Around the bags of dog food :hmm:  i doubt it as most of the pound shop stuff is gonna be much less palatable.

 

Quality of bait is important as you want em to eat it well and not get a sub lethal dose. 

 

I would store dog food sacks secure, galvinised feed bin for example and keep it clean before starting with poison  :thumbs:



#3 stealthy1

stealthy1

    Extreme Hunter

  • Donator
  • 15,427 posts
  • Location:In the land of sand.

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:25 am

Works on mice, but stuggles on rats.



#4 PLEDGEY

PLEDGEY

    Mega Hunter

  • Donator
  • 584 posts
  • Location:Somerset.

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:59 pm

If the poison contain 0.005% Bromadiolone or 0.005%Difenacoum then if a fatal dose is ingested it would kill. The problem with cheap poison is its palatability, it's no good buying it if it won't be eaten, or worse, they eat only a small amount which could lead to an immunity to the poison. The top poison companies spend vast amounts on research and development to find a poison that'll not only kill but feel nice in the rodents mouth so they come back for more. Rodents have very poor taste and will chew and eat things that aren't even food if it feels nice to them. Ever noticed that if there are any crayons or candles where there are rats and mice they will chew the shit out of them? that's because they like the feeling more than the taste and that's why you get wax block poisons. The reason poison paste bags smells so good is to attract but it would probably taste like crap if you put it in your mouth. In some more expensive poisons they'll add a bittering agent, these are good poisons to use if you know there are children in the area where the poison is going to be placed, a child would spit it out but a rat would still eat it if it feels nice.


  • trappa likes this

#5 DIDO.1

DIDO.1

    Extreme Hunter

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts
  • Location:Lancashire

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:24 pm

If the poison contain 0.005% Bromadiolone or 0.005%Difenacoum then if a fatal dose is ingested it would kill. The problem with cheap poison is its palatability, it's no good buying it if it won't be eaten, or worse, they eat only a small amount which could lead to an immunity to the poison. The top poison companies spend vast amounts on research and development to find a poison that'll not only kill but feel nice in the rodents mouth so they come back for more. Rodents have very poor taste and will chew and eat things that aren't even food if it feels nice to them. Ever noticed that if there are any crayons or candles where there are rats and mice they will chew the shit out of them? that's because they like the feeling more than the taste and that's why you get wax block poisons. The reason poison paste bags smells so good is to attract but it would probably taste like crap if you put it in your mouth. In some more expensive poisons they'll add a bittering agent, these are good poisons to use if you know there are children in the area where the poison is going to be placed, a child would spit it out but a rat would still eat it if it feels nice.


All rat and mice poison in the UK have bitrex added to them to put off non target species. Ant gels do as well

#6 Deker

Deker

    Extreme Hunter

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts
  • Location:Berkshire

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:18 pm

Most of the Pest Control products available at the DIY stores, garden centres, etc, contain exactly the same active ingredients at the same % as most professionals use, indeed some of the stuff is identical, simply sold in smaller quantities.

 

Fact is, most domestics are frightened by the prices, don't know how to use/monitor the bait and don't use enough!


  • goshawking719 likes this


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users