Welsh_red

Skull Identification

I've been given a deer skull and antlers . Does anyone have any idea what type of deer it was

• Like 1

Ghost deer I reckon .......

Any history to it? Whereabouts in the country is it from?

Novice

I've been doing building work on a farm for a few years on and off and it was always hanging in the corner of a shed. The old guy who owned the farm died and his daughter got us back to redo the house and outbuildings . I asked her if it was a deer shot local . Shed forgot it was even there and she remembers it moving with them from Kent to south Wales in the 70's . She doesn't know any more about it. So it's quite old . In going to glue some bits that are loose tight then whiten it with peroxide . I've got a mink skull here I'll do the same time

Is there any way of indentifiyng marks or anything to find out the exact kind of deer? It's not important really but I'd like a bit of knowledge on it

It looks like red to me,as I think the antlers look to big to be Sika ,it's not a great photo,how long are the antlers from the skull to the tip,and what diameter are they at the thickest part,wf

It looks like red to me,as I think the antlers look to big to be Sika ,it's not a great photo,how long are the antlers from the skull to the tip,and what diameter are they at the thickest part,wf

I'll take some pictures after work today

It has the form of Sika. Especially the angle of the brow tines, but it is pretty huge and the skull is too big.

Are the brow tines rounded or do they have a knife edge on ttop?

Could possibly be a hybrid I suppose.

Could well be a red\sika hybrid.

Just for future reference. What are you looking for to see that in the skull/antler