Jam Time Boys ......

What way does you're Mrs cook it socks.

If your doing blackberry jam here's the crack mate .....

Weigh the blackberries and add the same amount of sugar, add the juice of a lemon (1 lemon per 2kg)

Boil for at least 45 mins

Make sure everything is spotlessly clean and sterilised, don't touch the inside of the jars as any bacteria will make the jam go mouldy.

• Like 1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Done my bit ... over to the missus now

Done my Blackberry jam yesterday 1.2 kilo of berry's a brambly apple the juice of 2 small lemons 150ml of cloudy apple juice and 1.2 kilo of sugar. Turned out very good. Found three wild plumb trees t

Posted Images

Socks. I know and the pears as well but I had green gauge to sort out. Lucky beggars are we not? Jok.

Absolutely healthy quality produce completely free of charge and good for you ......

until you whack few lb of sugar in it :laugh:

• Like 2

Weigh the blackberries and add the same amount of sugar, add the juice of a lemon (1 lemon per 2kg)

Make sure everything is spotlessly clean and sterilised, don't touch the inside of the jars as any bacteria will make the jam go mouldy.

You only need to get the temperature to 105 degrees C. That's the magic number and setting point.

Get yourself a thermometer and cut the time your boiling it for :thumbs:

You only need to get the temperature to 105 degrees C. That's the magic number and setting point.

Get yourself a thermometer and cut the time your boiling it for :thumbs:

Check you out Delia :laugh:

• Like 1

Done my Blackberry jam yesterday 1.2 kilo of berry's a brambly apple the juice of 2 small lemons 150ml of cloudy apple juice and 1.2 kilo of sugar. Turned out very good. Found three wild plumb trees tiny little plumbs very tasty about the size of your thumb nail in diameter. Made a small batch of jam out of them just to try, stewed them down in a little apple juice then through a sieve to get rid of the stones and skins. Did a guest amount 400gram of plumbs, 1/2 a brambly apple, the juice of 1/2 lemon and 400grams sugar, little taste, slightly like a marmalade, tangy should be nice on toast.

I boil all the jars and lids then put the jars only in the oven at 100 degrees. Pour the the hot jam in the hot jars put the lid on quick, never goes off that way.

Cheers Arry

• Like 5

I picked some Damon's/wild plums going to make jam and damson gin with them.

Made damson vodka last year and only bottled it yesterday, do you think I could make a jam from the damsons I made the vodka with? Same weight of sugar and damsons, should I add anything else?

Thanks.

Made damson vodka last year and only bottled it yesterday, do you think I could make a jam from the damsons I made the vodka with? Same weight of sugar and damsons, should I add anything else?

Thanks.

Hmm... I'd do a tiny fruit and sugar compote, to see how it tastes, and go from there. (Might lend itself more to a vinegar onion relish thing?) I'd also do a small fruit only boil, and test for pectin (tsp liquor into tbsp meths) before bothering to do a full jam session. (Lemon shells, pips, crab apples etc to pep up pectin levels if nec).

All just guessing...... (none of my fruit spirits last longer than 4 months, if they're not bottled up quick).

I had a couple of abject fails with puddings using vodka soaked rhubarb and gin soaked sloes, and so now always bin the lot. Be interested to see how you get on...

Edited by Squeamish5

Thanks.

Hmm... I'd do a tiny fruit and sugar compote, to see how it tastes, and go from there. (Might lend itself more to a vinegar onion relish thing?) I'd also do a small fruit only boil, and test for pectin (tsp liquor into tbsp meths) before bothering to do a full jam session. (Lemon shells, pips, crab apples etc to pep up pectin levels if nec).

All just guessing...... (none of my fruit spirits last longer than 4 months, if they're not bottled up quick).

I had a couple of abject fails with puddings using vodka soaked rhubarb and gin soaked sloes, and so now always bin the lot. Be interested to see how you get on...

Thanks Squeamish,

I tasted one that came out of the vodka, and it tasted fine. I only made a couple of bottles so don't have too many vodka damsons, but I will give it a try, I'm thinking same weight of sugar to damsons.

I was reading on the internet and the damsons seem to be high in pectin and don't need anything to help setting? I'll let you know how I get on.

• Like 1