I would just ask the man see what he says , tell him your plans an offer to bring a pig on for this meat could get land for free worth a try mate

Offer help also at the hardest times (lambing/harvest etc) time is worth more than money and pays for something cash cannot buy ;)

I would just ask the man see what he says , tell him your plans an offer to bring a pig on for this meat could get land for free worth a try mate

Offer help also at the hardest times (lambing/harvest etc) time is worth more than money and pays for something cash cannot buy ;)

you can bet your bottom dollar that you'd get the shit,hardest jobs.much easier to agree a price,pay it and do what you have to do without interference from each other.treat it like business not favours not to mention having to spend hours and hours of your time doing stuff with him.

• Like 3

you can bet your bottom dollar that you'd get the shit,hardest jobs.much easier to agree a price,pay it and do what you have to do without interference from each other.treat it like business not favours not to mention having to spend hours and hours of your time doing stuff with him.
Every favour I have ever done, I have learned something, good and bad ;)

Nowt wrong with helping the farmer out imo.

Edited by mushroom

I'd say £100 and part of a pig for a year, would be a good starting point and fair to both sides. Based purely on what I'd think if I was either party and a reasonable person.

Consider your own costs...fencing off the couple acres you want to use. Then there's access / security issues for both you/ your pig(s) and the Landowner.

Pesky Wabbits did a thread a page or so ago (slaughtering pigs price), which has some info from various people about cost of rearing pigs.

It's a great idea...hope it works out for you.

• Like 1

My boss rents a garage he keeps our tools and excess materials in . He pays a fair whack each month for it. He used to have part of a shed at a farm local and it was much cheaper and bigger place. He couldn't stick being there . The farmer was a great guy but expected loads and loads from him . Any broken slates he'd be asked to fix . All small crap jobs he was expected to do for nothing and also when I started working for him he had to pay me for my time and get nothing from farmer because " his rent was cheap ".

Sometimes muddy waters will make it unbearable for you .

• Like 1

My boss rents a garage he keeps our tools and excess materials in . He pays a fair whack each month for it. He used to have part of a shed at a farm local and it was much cheaper and bigger place. He couldn't stick being there . The farmer was a great guy but expected loads and loads from him . Any broken slates he'd be asked to fix . All small crap jobs he was expected to do for nothing and also when I started working for him he had to pay me for my time and get nothing from farmer because " his rent was cheap ".

I agree been in a similar situation rather sort out what's what money wise than a favour can still be called for if it's really needed rather then bieng anyone's joey. Edited by C.green

I agree been in a similar situation rather sort out what's what money wise than a favour can still be called for if it's really needed rather then bieng anyone's joey.

I love doing favours and helping out people . Always feels good helping out . But anything that I enjoy or feel is work related etc I'd rather pay the price. It's easier than having it spoilt by resentment