I don't beleive in physical punishment for dogs generally,but my 9month working strain jack russell broke my mould.Started yapping every morning at 3am, nothing around as other dogs are quiet.Tried scolding,works for the lurchers,then hosing.Resorted to whipping him one morning with a thin willow branch.What a transformation,the dog is quiet and a lot more obedient and affectionate.Usually a look is enough but this little c'nut needed a little extra.I'm sorry it had to come to that but think it helped him and certainly helped me.

Funny you should say that I was only thinking yesterday how a lurcher I had once we had such a great bond because he never gave me cause to be firm on him. He just did every thing right and it made life easy.

Compared to the one now who I have had to be firm with on occasion and if I am honest he has got away with stuff he maybe shouldn't. In hind site I should have done things different a few times. But if they won't listen or get the message your options start to run out. If my dog had his way he would be on the settee and I would be on the floor and he wouldn't do sod all he didn't want too and that is not good lol

The only thing is they don't forget and if your ever tempted to raise a whippy stick at him again he might have some thing to say about it and its a bit of a downward spiral

Edited by terryd