Currently weighing up my options of keeping a couple of pigs I have land sorted just need to build an enclosure.

I'd just like some advise on keeping pigs and a bit more understanding of the legalities of keeping/moving pigs I've read everything of gov website.

Or are there any good blogs or videos I can watch about keeping pig?

Thanks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

upto a dead weight of 60 kg......slaughter cost = £20,boned and rolled and vac packed = £26 and 50p for each joint cut,sausages cost £2.20 for each kg made. dead weight of 80kg..slaughter cost =£23,b

It's pretty straight forward mate. I've found pigs pretty easy to keep from weavers up to killing weight. You need to apply for college number and heard number. Movements are all done online at Bpec.

Legislation is the biggest problem. Huge fines for keeping them without herd number and illegal transporting due to foot and mouth,registered slaughterhouse for killing, vet checks,vaccines and inspec

Posted Images

It's pretty straight forward mate. I've found pigs pretty easy to keep from weavers up to killing weight. You need to apply for college number and heard number. Movements are all done online at Bpec. Hardest but is keeping the buggars in.

Go for it.

• Like 2

Thankyou I'm looking forward to giving it a go, any breeds you'd recommend I've been told saddleback ?

I've only ever kept Gloucester old spots so I can't say about other breeds. Mine have always been pretty docile excepts the ones I've got now which are nutters. First day they escaped into the deer park and were running with some big red stags !!

Have kept boars and gilts and haven't noticed difference

Been thinking of rearing nice trio of pigs myself,is there much financial gain from it as I was thinking one for myself and two to sell on maybe

Depends on whether you can find a cheap food source. That's the expense along with butchering cost. If you can feed yourself on leftover veg,bread, fruit etc then your laughing. Also make sure you charge a good price for the end product. I've had to have vet out twice to this lot which has been £50 a pop which isn't ideal.

I can't remember what I paid 2 years ago now. The killing and cutting cost wasn't so bad it was the additional sausage price that hiked it up. I got my sausages done onto trays as I have a Holliday cottage up the dales and they go down well there. Got a feeling it was about £80 a pig.

That's pretty reasonable,

Decision has been made now I will be getting 2 will keep you posted on project pork

Go for it mate, you won't regret it, proper characters and good meat at the end of it.

What sort of price do you pay for killing/butchering

upto a dead weight of 60 kg......slaughter cost = £20,boned and rolled and vac packed = £26 and 50p for each joint cut,sausages cost £2.20 for each kg made.

dead weight of 80kg..slaughter cost =£23,boned,rolled and vac packed = £31 and 65p for each joint cut and again £2.20 per kg of sausages made.

• Like 3