Starting Work

Alright lads just wondering what age you'd start running pups or have started them. I've a pup here I'm missing this season as he's still very young but I'm thinking starting light work when he's around 8-9 months would this be to soon? Id sooner wait a year or so and have a good dog not ruined and have plenty of seasons rather then one or 2. Any advice would be appreciated ?

Ive not ran that many dogs but I started mine at 11-12 months, some dogs might be ready sooner than others but I just waited till I thought he was ready for a run, an old boy down the road from me said if its male wait till it starts cocking its leg for a piss but I don't even remember what age mine started cocking his leg to piss

My big bitch(your pups mum) was out watching other dogs run the beam from 9 1/2 months old I didn't let her run till 11month it was on a rabbit that was sat tight far out in the field the opportunity was there so she ran it I remember it like it was yesterday the rabbit showed her how inexperienced she was it nearly made it home An dry as the rabbit hit the hedge line so did the bitch making contact with the rabbit her first catch it was the best feeling ever I can't wait to get your pups sister entered I'll be getting her pining in the nets hopefully near the end of the season possibly

Yeah I've not got another dog to show him the ropes so will wait and see how he dose I'm walking him round sheep and ponies every day so I'm hoping he'll never show interest in them once he's older. I am looking forward to hi first run BUT I'm in no rush for it just be all the better when it dose happen.

I only ferret and bush,not lamp and I've always started pups at eight weeks with older dogs and are pretty bush smart by 12 months with few injuries.But they end up very hunting minded and could not be homed as pets.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 1

Also I've just read that at 16weeks old roughly double that for full grown hight is that a load of s**t?? Just measured my pup and at a couple of days off 12 weeks he's just under 17tts.

If that's right am fooked pup is 18 week and 21.5" tts. That means she make approx 43" tts.

Think it's an old wives tale

• Like 1

Alright lads just wondering what age you'd start running pups or have started them. I've a pup here I'm missing this season as he's still very young but I'm thinking starting light work when he's around 8-9 months would this be to soon? Id sooner wait a year or so and have a good dog not ruined and have plenty of seasons rather then one or 2. Any advice would be appreciated ?

Not even read any comments to this post but I really don't understand lads working their dogs before muscle and bone are not fully developed and apart from not been phisyically ready they are not mentally ready at this age, agree or disagree but it's a fact ?

Not even read any comments to this post but I really don't understand lads working their dogs before muscle and bone are not fully developed and apart from not been phisyically ready they are not mentally ready at this age, agree or disagree but it's a fact ?

Only had one lurcher before this one that was a rescue and he was 18 months old so I was looking for advice on when to start like I've said I'm in no rush just after advice ?? atb

Nothing wrong with if there pushing stuff out or hunting for themselves in letting them have a couple of chases. Couldn't be waiting 18 month to 2 years before showing a dog abit of game.

Well good luck to u c green but this is one reason why there are so many dogs on the merry go round ! Lads are far too eager to test their dogs at such a young age and ruin them then sell them coz they have blown their brains or carry injuries at 8 months old it's a f***ing disgrace but like I say all along in this game there are dog me and men with dogs

• Like 1