TD5 was the best Landrover I ever had, That may not be saying much mind.

I`m thinking about doing it again with a mint D2 ! cannot believe it but the f***ing things are addictive piles of shite.

All about the green oval lol used to have other landy owners wave when I

Owned mine bet that doesn't happen now

I had an X reg TD5 and it stood me between 500 and a 1000 pounds every year with mainly electrical problems.

Keys not working relating to corroaded reciever in the roof due to water ingress around sun roofs.

Air flow meter

Fuel Pump.

Injector £500 for relpacing 1.

The other issue is diagnostics which is a dealer or independant with the relavant equipment.

Also economy is a big issue you need deep pockets.

It was a pleasure to drive otherwise with no mechanical issues and pulled horse box like it wasnt there but i was glad when daughter

finished with horses and sold it within a month.

There not all the same a farmer has one which has been abused and he has never had any problems.

• Like 2

I had a 1998 TD5 for 10 years ( the same one), did around 200,000 miles in it, and loved it.

Had a few small problems with it, but if you can do stuff yourself or find a good trusted independent lad then they are no worse to own than a normal car.

This "3 amigos" lights thing, is only a problem because people try and avoid replacing the hub unit, I did both my fronts with s/h Timmken ones (avoid the cheap ebay ones) they cost around £50 each + an hours labour for someone who knows the job, never had a problem again.

Sunroofs leaking is an absolute twat, but you do get used to it and learn to lean out of the way on corners :laugh: It never bothered me enough to drop the headlining and sort it out though.

I did have to replace the BCU/fusebox thing because of corrosion due to the leak, years ago and it cost me around £60 I think and took a few minutes to do.

Had a few coolant leaks at first, until I replaced all the pipes, was cheap to do, just took a bit of time, never had another problem.

I facelifted mine, and got an interior off a 2004 one, it had only done 20K, mine looked mint the day I sold it 10 years later.

The things that made me realise mine needed to go were the chassis at the back, I'd had it repaired a couple of times but it needed properly replacing to last a few more years, and the s/h parts problem, even the very last of the D2's are now 13 years old, so good s/h parts are getting scarce, there is a really good breakers run by Paul McGill, but you have join the queue for some parts as loads of lads seem to be chasing the same parts.

There are a few really good "Geek" sites for them, loads of lads who are dead keen to help.

My plan was to sell mine and buy a LM322 RR TD6, but then a car came up and I let it go.

I keep looking on ebay at late D2's, I miss mine, I reckon I'll be back in a Lanny soon enough.

Photos from a few days before it went, 260K miles on it ...

post-939-0-35630800-1503909765_thumb.jpg

post-939-0-43230200-1503909775_thumb.jpg

Replaced with this (which I'll swap for a decent RR)

Subaru Legacy 2.0D SE

post-939-0-11411300-1503909972_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I had a 1998 TD5 for 10 years ( the same one), did around 200,000 miles in it, and loved it.

Had a few small problems with it, but if you can do stuff yourself or find a good trusted independent lad then they are no worse to own than a normal car.

This "3 amigos" lights thing, is only a problem because people try and avoid replacing the hub unit, I did both my fronts with s/h Timmken ones (avoid the cheap ebay ones) they cost around £50 each + an hours labour for someone who knows the job, never had a problem again.

Sunroofs leaking is an absolute twat, but you do get used to it and learn to lean out of the way on corners :laugh: It never bothered me enough to drop the headlining and sort it out though.

I did have to replace the BCU/fusebox thing because of corrosion due to the leak, years ago and it cost me around £60 I think and took a few minutes to do.

Had a few coolant leaks at first, until I replaced all the pipes, was cheap to do, just took a bit of time, never had another problem.

I facelifted mine, and got an interior off a 2004 one, it had only done 20K, mine looked mint the day I sold it 10 years later.

The things that made me realise mine needed to go were the chassis at the back, I'd had it repaired a couple of times but it needed properly replacing to last a few more years, and the s/h parts problem, even the very last of the D2's are now 13 years old, so good s/h parts are getting scarce, there is a really good breakers run by Paul McGill, but you have join the queue for some parts as loads of lads seem to be chasing the same parts.

There are a few really good "Geek" sites for them, loads of lads who are dead keen to help.

My plan was to sell mine and buy a LM322 RR TD6, but then a car came up and I let it go.

I keep looking on ebay at late D2's, I miss mine, I reckon I'll be back in a Lanny soon enough.

Photos from a few days before it went, 260K miles on it ...

13701069_10157184273760284_3383118761260468174_o.jpg

13690902_10157184273635284_2667334450550219353_o.jpg

Replaced with this (which I'll swap for a decent RR)

Subaru Legacy 2.0D SE

IMG_7433.jpg

How do you find the legacy thinking of getting one for the family car?

• Like 1

Had it not far off a year now, it's fast, it holds the road really well, it's very economical, dead comfortable on long journeys, loads of room in the back (like a van with the seats down), cheap and easy to service (have done discs/pads/inner and outer steering arms/2 oil services/strut inserts and a few other bits) it would make a brilliant family car I'd say.

Had it not far off a year now, it's fast, it holds the road really well, it's very economical, dead comfortable on long journeys, loads of room in the back (like a van with the seats down), cheap and easy to service (have done discs/pads/inner and outer steering arms/2 oil services/strut inserts and a few other bits) it would make a brilliant family car I'd say.

Everything I wanted to hear, had a Forester and loved it, but now fancy the legacy and is my price range. Going to go for a test drive in few weeks

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Had a td5 disco. Best car ive had. Never let me down, but i was proactive fixing things before they became an issue. If you get one with normal roll bars and run it with coil springs and delete the egr you wont go wrong. A remap really improves it too. Only reason i sold was because of the rust at the rear, sick of welding ready for the mot. Worth it if you can buy one with the galv chassis.

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned a few different Landrover models over the years and they do there job but everyone of them had my hand in my pocket spending on them. Best off-roaders no doubt but far from reliable . Got Freelander 2 now,had it from new and just spent 3.5k on it. All Freelander 2 and Evoques have an undersized rear diff fitted so bearings go and eventually also take out haldex unit,clutch set up and dmf. Symptoms start as an irregular vibration now and again then the diff starts whining. As usual Landrover deny the problem but a company called  Bell Engineering repair/rectify and sell parts to repair them.

ps recon turbo,egr delete and remap to go with it also .

http://www.bellengineering.co.uk/freelander-2-products/

Edited by MickC
Sp