Our Toyota is on its last legs I think,so next year going to have get another motor

Want something spacious ,an don't mind getting muddy ,tip runs etc

Just been looking an a few td5 discos cropping up for £2-3000

Now I know early discos suffered with boot floors and I know the td5 had problems years ago with the accelerator?

But now they been out awhile are they easier to get repaired an parts cheaper

I've seen a few tidy looking ones on say 02/03 plates for around £2000

Seem lot of car for the money with even maverick an terranos fetching that

Anything I should look out for?

I've not had a landy for 10 year probably.

• Like 1

Air suspension was an issue with Td5s. A lot of them have had the system replaced with regular suspension. Leaking sunroofs and those funny little windows in the back roof. Obviously buy what you want, but for that sort of money I think I'd prefer a well sorted late 300tdi rather than an early Td5

Oh yeah I remember those little window rubbers failing now,an yeah I would go back to shocks an could I had old man emu 2 inch lift on my 90

I follow landy bay on facebook an most the decent series or defenders are fetching 4 grand,I'm not spending that much on a car lol

• Like 1

I had a td5 on a x plate as my last motor for the dogs. It was a second car I just used for the dogs and going work in. To fair I really liked it and had it for over three years.But in the end I just got sick of spending money on it. Air suspension went that many times that in the end I replaced for springs, front sunroof leaked that much in the rain I was going to silicone it shut lol. Loads of electrical gremlins, when it was due the last MOT I couldn't be bothered to spend any more cash on it, so I stuck on fleabay.Was not expecting to get a lot for it, bug loads of interest and in the end I got a grand so was happy. On the plus side, loads of room in it, wasnt too bad on diesel and I thought it was a nice drive and a great dogging motor. But would I have another, NO. Am not mechanicaly minded and too many things went wrong with it. Google the td5 Three Amigos, it's a nightmare lol.

• Like 2

It normally takes about ten years to forget how bad landrovers are , but the inevitable oil slick outside your house after a couple of days brings it all back ...

Yeah lol I didn't have time then to be out there every weekend topping up fluids and tightening everything that had rattled loose

That's why we bought a t4 that served me well for 8 years

Just seems to be every type of car these days seem to have problems,only got to look on eBay or gumtree an see which cars are constantly advertised as spares n repairs .

It normally takes about ten years to forget how bad landrovers are , but the inevitable oil slick outside your house after a couple of days brings it all back ...

Yeah lol I didn't have time then to be out there every weekend topping up fluids and tightening everything that had rattled loose

Just seems to be every type of car these days seem to have problems,only got to look on eBay or gumtree an see which cars are constantly advertised as spares n repairs .

Difficult when you have had a motor that served you well for eight years not to get something with the same badge on mate ?

Difficult when you have had a motor that served you well for eight years not to get something with the same badge on mate
T4s are getting on a bit now an lots have rust underneath and fetch stupid money that's why when mine started getting rusty I bought the Toyota lucida ,

As for the newer t5s even if I could afford one they have had engine issues.

There's always a shogun or rav4? Just bought a diesel rav tx4, not the biggest but a good little motor and cheap to fix as There area a few about. "your lucky to of got that long with lucida as they known for head gaskets going. Just sold my old fourtrak to my pal-gutted as they soldier on for ever lol.

There's always a shogun or rav4? Just bought a diesel rav tx4, not the biggest but a good little motor and cheap to fix as There area a few about. "your lucky to of got that long with lucida as they known for head gaskets going. Just sold my old fourtrak to my pal-gutted as they soldier on for ever lol.

fourtraks were tough as a honey badger, but rusted like a betty swastard, too small, the Suzuki xl7 hdi is what I'm looking at these days as theyre cheap to run and have the big boot

• Like 1

I only had the lucida 2 year it's the t4 I had for 8 the lucida done Monmouth to crossash school run twice a day (32 ?miles a day )and been to Cornwall an back and Tenby an back its only just started playing up by being flat battery if it not used For couple days since school hols have started.it will want the passenger side rear suspension mount welded next year ,just had drivers side and a back box for mot last week.

So I got year to save for new motor an run that one into ground.