223 Bore Sight

It's arrived and I guess it is about what I expected for less than a tenner.

The laser pointer part is fine and can be seen out to about 25m outdoors today if shone on the right sort of surface.

It says it is adjusted for concentricity in the factory and the allen screws shouldn't be touched but they provide an allen key (and a screwdriver). revolving mine in a lathe produced a 25cm circle at 15m, so not l centered at all well. Five minutes of adjustments and it is now just about perfect.

The main body is stiff enough that it will give good results, but the tiny little bore arbors would have been better lost in the post. I just made a full length one out of teflon tube for my 243 and that now gives the same POA every time I put it in and even if I rotate it.

So basically as it is out of the box it is a little bit better than looking along the barrel and guessing, but with a bit of work it can be pretty good.

It's arrived and I guess it is about what I expected for less than a tenner.

The laser pointer part is fine and can be seen out to about 25m outdoors today if shone on the right sort of surface.

It says it is adjusted for concentricity in the factory and the allen screws shouldn't be touched but they provide an allen key (and a screwdriver). revolving mine in a lathe produced a 25cm circle at 15m, so not l centered at all well. Five minutes of adjustments and it is now just about perfect.

The main body is stiff enough that it will give good results, but the tiny little bore arbors would have been better lost in the post. I just made a full length one out of teflon tube for my 243 and that now gives the same POA every time I put it in and even if I rotate it.

So basically as it is out of the box it is a little bit better than looking along the barrel and guessing, but with a bit of work it can be pretty good.

What Bore Sight have you got please?

I have never found the need for one to be honest, never found it difficult to sight by eye, and whatever you use live fire will be the final stage, but for less than a tenner, it may be worth a look!

Cheers

I bought the one below. it was £6.99, but has now gone up to £7.19.

I never really had a need for one either, but it was sooooo cheap.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Laser-Bore-Sighter-0-22-to-0-50-Caliber-Hunting-Boresighter-Rifle-Scope-UK/112528647702?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Cheers for that! :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys but my opinion is these lasers are gimmicks and difficult to see during daylight. I use the method I was taught in the forces and it is 100% fool proof. Simply use the mark1 eyeball!

Just set your rifle on a sandbag/vice etc and observe a small object such as a stone or small POA approx 25m away. Look through the barrel and adjust your barrel to align with the object, firmly seat the rifle on the sandbag/vice so it won't move and check it's in alignment. Then adjust the reticule on the scope on to the stone/small object etc. obviously it won't work with a PCP etc but I rough zero all my C/F this way without firing a shot, it save rounds and time and will put you on the paper. It is the best way and costs you nothing!

A shot saver is a different thing and potentially quite dangerous in the wrong hands, as I see my local RFD use one to zero all manner on the shop counter! That bit of kit is intended for realignment of scopes that are removed and swapped between rifles.

Edited by foxtrotoscar