Size Of Salukis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No because the digestive system has evolved over thousands of years and salukis have adapted to eat whats available in COO game and meat are considered a luxury and anything caught the dogs are not a

Brindle is not a basic colour found in the saluki lines through history wr have never had any brindle in our stock.. The brindle that is seen is thought to be in crosses with Caravan hounds usually o

There's a book on saluki breed 'saluqi coursing hound of the east' its likely the most comprehensive book written on any breed of dog hundreds of pics taken over years n years , every variation on sal

The brindles of Sir T.,s photos were Kholei dogs not pure saluki

what's kholei mate? They were from a few places if I remember correctly, all saluqis to him

Kholie is Persian for Gypsy, Sir T was a diplomat he spent the majority of his time in the Middle East in Iran and Iraq. He was gifted a couple of pures which he brought back to UK. He was right into coursing and hunting .

The brindles of Sir T.,s photos were Kholei dogs not pure saluki

what's kholei mate? They were from a few places if I remember correctly, all saluqis to him

Kholie is Persian for Gypsy, Sir T was a diplomat he spent the majority of his time in the Middle East in Iran and Iraq. He was gifted a couple of pures which he brought back to UK. He was right into coursing and hunting .
cheers, not Sure they were all from that background mind,

yeah know about him he had some good articles in the old mags.

Its a funny one really, some think the brindles and all blacks etc are salukis and some don't,

Some think salukis are separate and others think salukis sloughis tazis blah blah are all the same hound

Edited by Gilbey

Brindle is not a basic colour found in the saluki lines through history wr have never had any brindle in our stock.. The brindle that is seen is thought to be in crosses with Caravan hounds usually on the Silk Route of Marco Polo this and during British Raj times lots of Military Officers brought greyhounds from UK . The servants who used to look after the stock used to take the odd sly lining to local dogs and brindle became more common in crosses. Tazi is a Persian dialect for saluki , Sloughis are a breed on their own more akin to Azawakhs. The astetics of the pures are one of the reasons that basic colours are adhered to by the purists. The Arabs in their need for speed import coursing dogs to line their Salukis then keep crossing the lining out but in the Genetics the colour gene is always there. . When the Arabs buy coursers they always try to get whites, fawns the lighter colours for these crosses but the colour of previous generations can pop up in any litter down the road. Colour doesnt matter in a working dog its peoples preference as with cars etc

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 3

Brindle is not a basic colour found in the saluki lines through history wr have never had any brindle in our stock.. The brindle that is seen is thought to be in crosses with Caravan hounds usually on the Silk Route of Marco Polo this and during British Raj times lots of Military Officers brought greyhounds from UK . The servants who used to look after the stock used to take the odd sly lining to local dogs and brindle became more common in crosses. Tazi is a Persian dialect for saluki , Sloughis are a breed on their own more akin to Azawakhs. The astetics of the pures are one of the reasons that basic colours are adhered to by the purists. The Arabs in their need for speed import coursing dogs to line their Salukis then keep crossing the lining out but in the Genetics the colour gene is always there. . When the Arabs buy coursers they always try to get whites, fawns the lighter colours for these crosses but the colour of previous generations can pop up in any litter down the road. Colour doesnt matter in a working dog its peoples preference as with cars etc

As far as you know db, was greyhound added to the sloughi and azawakh as well? They both come in all the colours that salukis do as well as brindle

I am not sure only a DNA test would show it but I would certainly question the brindle in their lines. We know that greyhounds /whippets, a few Danes and bull breeds seem to carry the brindle gene yet dogs like geman shepherd doberman, poodle etc dont I have not seen a brindle amongst these breeds .Suggesting that brindle is from some cross breeding in certain lines especially in sight hounds /running breeds.when bridle mutation does appear.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

I am not sure only a DNA test would show it but I would certainly question the brindle in their lines. We know that greyhounds /whippets, a few Danes and bull breeds seem to carry the brindle gene yet dogs like geman shepherd doberman, poodle etc dont I have not seen a brindle amongst these breeds .Suggesting that brindle is from some cross breeding in certain lines especially in sight hounds /running breeds.when bridle mutation does appear.

Yes a complicated subject, as like you say, no brindling in dobermans, but there was 'supposedly' greyhound blood bred into them as an emerging breed

. One of the early German Shepard alsation dogs was a full dark brindle much like a Dutch shepherd the earLu emergence of the breed would in all probability have some mastiff or. Bull type of old.atb bunnys.

Hi ,what do you know about the salukis in North Iraq (Kurdistan ) a little village called Kala ,was there 2009ish and seen some really nice looking big strong dogs there

. One of the early German Shepard alsation dogs was a full dark brindle much like a Dutch shepherd the earLu emergence of the breed would in all probability have some mastiff or. Bull type of old.atb bunnys.

I thought that's where the brindle come from in herders was through the bull blood generations back ?

Well, f**k all to do with the size of salukis lol, but just googled 'were some of the early german shepherd dogs brindle in colour'? And followed a couple of other links to sites. Damned interesting, and some stunning animals

Edited by shaaark

sorry was being lazy writing blah blah, meant they think all drop lugged sighthounds are the same hound, that last bit about coursing dogs fairly sure brindle wouldn't pop up after generations of non brindles it would show sooner, like ya say it doesn't matter lol