Want To Indulge In Thermal

Been thinking for a long time, but last night I lost a lot of shot rabbits I couldn't find in stubble and grass, so reckon it may be time for me to give it a try.

It's a minefield, so much on the market, but what's any good, what's average, or crap, I don't have a clue,do I go with a spotter and still shoot with my n870lrf, or dedicated thermal scope.

I want to be able to use it close up ratting, rabbits out to 100 yards plus, foxes upto a couple hundred, and general spotting at all manner of distances, so is there such a thing that will give me all this, and I would like to be able to pick out a rabbits head if possible rather than rely on body shooting.

Budget, well that's not fixed, ball park upto 3k.

After all that, where is the best place to buy, I see Scott and country are offering 7 days free trial, I like that idea as never having looked through one, no idea if my expectations are realistic or not.

Iv been using thermal for the past 3 year my spotter the pulsar hd38s is getting a bit long in the tooth now but still works fine I was using it with digital nv add on until I bought a pulsar trial xq50 scope so I'm a bit spoilt at the minute I would just go for the pulsar Helion xq38f spotter and stick to shooting with nv for a while but I must say thermal is very impressive once you have shot with a thermal scope don't think you will go back to nv

• Like 3

Yes but a grand more the xq50 mag starts at 2.7 and I think the xp is 1.7 so it's gona look a better picture doesn't matter what the mag scope you use once you zoom you loose pic quality and don't think the xp worth a grand more other people mite disagree

• Like 1

Yes but a grand more the xq50 mag starts at 2.7 and I think the xp is 1.7 so it's gona look a better picture doesn't matter what the mag scope you use once you zoom you loose pic quality and don't think the xp worth a grand more other people mite disagree

Thanks, I need to get my head around all this, if only shops stocked them and were open at night.

The Helion xq38f gets my vote as well

Seems to be a popular choice for spotting, what's the opinion on going straight in for a scope though ?

Can any of them range find, love that on my 870, I've seen a few thermal scopes do it, but not spotters.

• Like 1

I was told yesterday a 4 month wait on the XQ 50 lrf

I have ordered the xq38f which should be two weeks hopefully.

I can also get the xq50 Lrf next month, but I'm not sure that's the one I want to go for yet, have several other options I am looking at for the scope.

I can also get the xq50 Lrf next month, but I'm not sure that's the one I want to go for yet, have several other options I am looking at for the scope.

Like what if you don't mind me asking ?

• Like 2

Like what if you don't mind me asking ?

I done mind anyone asking, the more ideas and opinions the better.

On the shortlist are

Pulsar xq50lrf

ATN 50mm

WT1 75-3

All have pros and cons, the wt seems to have the best reputation and image quality is far superior the pulsar and ATN, but performance comes at a massive price.

ATN seem to be on par with the pulsar, but more pricey, the plus about them is they are English made (having just waited 8 months for a n550 to be repaired/serviced by pulsar).

Am open to all opinions and suggestions.

• Like 2