Question For The Knife Makers

How many of you lads actually forge your blades? Or is it mainly stock removal, shaping, hardening and finishing? I know midnight used to do a few of his own Demascus etc not knocking anybody just interested, I no anytime at a grinder is a long time lol

Has anybody used the gas forges? I'm seriously thinking of getting one, what's the pro's and cons against a coal forge?

You make it yaself? Seen a few plans for em an loads of different designs on a group on fb . Lots yanks make em out gas bottles. I think it is. I'll have a look again later I stopped having sneaky peeks as it was annoying me haha
i probably will mate lol, made a brake drum forge a couple year ago and that's when I decided I wanted a proper one! No neighbours now so hammering into the night isn't a problem ;) just can't decide on gas or coal? I'd build a coal one but probably blow myself up making a gas one? Also can't believe the price of anvils!!!!

I made a coal forge for serious stuff also a makeshift gas one with fire bricks & a blow torch for annealing & hardening when i can't be bothered to fire up the coal forge. I started gathering bits to build a proper gas forge as i would say it would be far less hassle and mess. There are loads of designs on the net for making them. If you use an old gas cylinder or the like you will need to line it with fire brick or ceramic quilt or it will burn out pretty quick. If you want to forge weld the flux eats the quilt so better with bricks although they take longer to heat up.

Griff

I've got 3 big gas cylinders ready to be made into something lol, got firebrick left over from the pizza oven and im sure I can scrounge some superwool from work ;) just need to get some bits together to make the burners and I'm gonna go for it I think! Cheers lads

• Like 1

How much coal ye go through on average person knife Griff? ??

A lot depends on what you are making. Best to plan a few bits and you can work them together, have one heating while you are working on the other etc. Probably get a couple hours of forging out of a bucket of coal. I am by no means an expert i just play about with it...i'me sure the old lads were pretty efficient with their coal!

Damascus is a whole other ball game. My lad has made a couple small pieces by hand and it takes best part of a day of hammering and folding. I made up a blank with bike chain forge welded to a spring steel core and it took half a day of hammering....must get that one made into a knife. Realistically if you want to make any quantity of Damascus you need a power hammer or powerful hydraulic press.

Griff

• Like 1

I've got 3 big gas cylinders ready to be made into something lol, got firebrick left over from the pizza oven and im sure I can scrounge some superwool from work ;) just need to get some bits together to make the burners and I'm gonna go for it I think! Cheers lads

I,me sure you will handle it ant with your welding skills. Best to do your research before you starting in to it. You can get away with something pretty small if you are just making knife blades. A small gas cylinder should be way big enough and will be more efficient.

I started researching making one a while back and have a word document with a load of different burner designs etc i copied from various places on the web pm me your email address and i will send it to you. If you don't want to make a burner a lot of the forums seem to reckon Amal make a good off the shelf variable injector for small gas forges. Brittish Blades forum had loads of info but it seems to have been down for a while....a pity it is a great site....owner is sick or something like that.

Griff

Has anybody used the gas forges? I'm seriously thinking of getting one, what's the pro's and cons against a coal forge?

Have you been watching "Forged in fire"? If not give it look, it's a good show. You might learn something from it if anything.