Cats & Ferret

In the last week I've had a fluffy white cat lurking around my garden . I let the dogs out few nights ago and the little dog belted down the garden and the cat fleed and jumped the 6 ft panel fence ,nearly falling but getting a grip at the end and f****d off . Tbh Im not sure what the dog would do if it caught it .

I've also seen at night from my bedroom window the cat hanging around the ferret shed door . It's a metal mesh door and it's sat by it looking in.

Out of curiosity do you think cats would go for a ferret?

Apart from the usual "shoot it" "feed it to the dogs" comments does anybody have and good tips or ideas to keep the cat out. It's a small town and I don't fancy taking the chance of my dogs killing a cat or finding a way into the ferrets or just generally winding the ferrets up .

When I moved to the house we didn't have dogs and cats used to use my lawn as a litter tray and it pisses me and my Mrs off no end. We got a dog and now for 3-4 years not a sniff of a cat but recently one has decided he wants to skulk around

If the cat got in it would more then likely shit a brick once it got bitten. I've known many farm cats ignore a big mean rat strolling across the yard. And depending on your ferrets size a big hob ferret is not outmatched by most cats.

• Like 1

If the cat got in it would more then likely shit a brick once it got bitten. I've known many farm cats ignore a big mean rat strolling across the yard. And depending on your ferrets size a big hob ferret is not outmatched by most cats.

That's nice to know . The huge hob I have would be the first thing it met if it managed to get in somewhere through the roof or something

Neighbours cat started coming in my garden watching the ferrets from the roof of my dog runs... Started leaving the lurcher run door open at night... That problem went away... Keep the dirty fuckers out of your garden as cat flu can kill ferrets. I can't understand folks who have a load of cats and just let them roam around all day and night? When my neighbour first moved in she caught me throwing her cat shit back over the fence after it was shitting in kids sand pit... I politely told her if it was a chicken that layed golden eggs she'd want them back... Also dropped it to her that I can have upto 47 dogs on my property without a licence... She got the message cheeky fat slug. Atb dc

• Like 4

Live trap it in a mink trap, give the cage a good shake or let the dog yap over it for a bit and release the cat. If I get a cat in the mink trap I give it a good scare and I never see it again. Doesnt take much to scare a cat and let it go unharmed. A cats more than equipped to kill a ferret but a ferret is more hassle than its worth for a house cat. Smell of food from the hutch will be bringing it in. Cats are a pain in the ass but it could still be someones pet.

• Like 1

Hate the things but as said there somebody's pet. So I use a paint ball blow pipe which i've got quite good at over the years, unfortunately the balls don't break if you hit them. So have aim a bit short then they burst and get sprayed, rarely come except one. I bought some 6" long screws with an eye on the end from farmer store put one on each fence post a 2" piece of bamboo on the shank. Then ran some thin wire through the eyes then came back with another strand took a turn round the shank just above the bamboo witch stopped it from dropping, this has worked really well so far.

Cheers Arry

I would say the cat is just curious, I have a cat and she used to be really intrigued by my ferret but the ferret has chased her a few times and tried to have a go and now she just keeps out of the way.

Saying that my cat is soft as, maybe a cat that's used to hunting rats may be sharper but I still doubt that if it got a nip it would still be interested.

Cats usually try to avoid injury at all cost.