Lucky Bred Pups

28 minutes ago, chrissi19 said:

Like I've already said there's a high chance the next one will be better because it's bred off tested and proven stock on both sides, and what I am chasing is a dog that can go out there in winter, kill good hares regularly and make me feel proud to own it, a dog that can kill the majority of hares it runs and do it in style, and dogs like this do exist believe it or not so I'd rather chase one like that than accept disappointment, it costs as much to feed a good one as a bad one

So the pup you own isn't of tested parents ? I know dogs like this exist mostly on the net  but what if you owned a dog that could kill most hares it ran  regularly on big flat ground then  you took it out of its comfort zone and put it on hard ground rocks bogs  frail etc fraught with dangers on all quarry not just a one trick pony  then it didn't come up to your standards then what would you do or the new pup fails to meet your expectations then what pass it around 

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you might know the sort of dog you want buddy, many do , watch a few videos will soon sort that out for anyone interested, getting one a different story altogether as your finding out, the next pup yo

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, chrissi19 said:

Like I've already said there's a high chance the next one will be better because it's bred off tested and proven stock on both sides, and what I am chasing is a dog that can go out there in winter, kill good hares regularly and make me feel proud to own it, a dog that can kill the majority of hares it runs and do it in style, and dogs like this do exist believe it or not so I'd rather chase one like that than accept disappointment, it costs as much to feed a good one as a bad one

I hope you get what you're after I really do but I've a feeling you're in for a lot of disappointment. You said in one of your posts that you're dog had to be rested for ten days and in the next post you say he's never been as fit and your basically going to slip him on every hare it sees. That's how I picked it up anyway. Lol. I think the best advise you could be given is to actually listen to a bit of advise. I think what arcticgun said was spot on and would do you no harm to take some of it onboard. You keep putting down men that are happy to keep average, your idea of average and mine must be completely different because there is plenty of lads with average dogs putting plenty of gear to bed every week. Anyway I'll say no more on the subject. Good luck chasing the Facebook unicorn you're after as I think you'll need it.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, blackmaggie said:

So the pup you own isn't of tested parents ? I know dogs like this exist mostly on the net  but what if you owned a dog that could kill most hares it ran  regularly on big flat ground then  you took it out of its comfort zone and put it on hard ground rocks bogs  frail etc fraught with dangers on all quarry not just a one trick pony  then it didn't come up to your standards then what would you do or the new pup fails to meet your expectations then what pass it around 

No the parents weren’t tested fs one was jacker and the is 3/3 snow killer lol good fun though 

Didnt mean too come across as twisting your words Mickey ? im fair impressed you ain't just given up s lot do, watched a good mate go through similar stuff for two seasons dog ended up a good lamper and lad did far better with next one , first one he made very best of , better out having a run or two than sacking it off and starting off again next term with pup ,  so fair play , I'm not saying anything I've said is too be taken as gospil as you said I may not even get out myself , but it's is too be considered innit? Talked too a very old skool coursing man today his young bitch not missed many at all this year if any and today she missed 2/2 , the reality is it does happen , crap when it does , it's a very rare exceptional animal that never ever misses , soon as I hear it I loose a bit of interest , cos there's a lot tell you they dont miss ,

Good luck would be nice too see at least one pup make it out the litter , best of luck with your new pup , are you getting it soon ? 

7 hours ago, arcticgun said:

Didnt mean too come across as twisting your words Mickey ? im fair impressed you ain't just given up s lot do, watched a good mate go through similar stuff for two seasons dog ended up a good lamper and lad did far better with next one , first one he made very best of , better out having a run or two than sacking it off and starting off again next term with pup ,  so fair play , I'm not saying anything I've said is too be taken as gospil as you said I may not even get out myself , but it's is too be considered innit? Talked too a very old skool coursing man today his young bitch not missed many at all this year if any and today she missed 2/2 , the reality is it does happen , crap when it does , it's a very rare exceptional animal that never ever misses , soon as I hear it I loose a bit of interest , cos there's a lot tell you they dont miss ,

Good luck would be nice too see at least one pup make it out the litter , best of luck with your new pup , are you getting it soon ? 

It’s anuff to put anyone of.i personally don’t no I myself am just going to take my time picking a knee pup this time 

• Like 1

Just to give everyone the full picture here cause I think most of you are misunderstanding, I've had the pup from 6 weeks old and I've put 100% effort in to him from day 1, genuinely he's one of my favourite dogs I've ever had, the reason I bought him was because he was marketed as lucky the dark destroyer lines so I assumed great dog = great pups, obviously I was a bit more naive then about coursing breeding breeding etc but I bought him anyway and that was that, he killed his 1st single handed on September 19th at a day over 12 months and over the next to months of say he killed 50% of the hares he ran and I was really confident about him, but mid November at 14 months things started to go wrong, when it wasn't stubble hares he was running faults in his game started to show, the last 6 hares he' ran he's killed 1, and the one he killed stuck very tight to cover I've no doubt that of it headed out right over the seed he would've missed that as well, hes not a fast type of dog when faced with a good hare he just plods along behind it making no real impact on the hares movement, the odd jink here and there but he never has it worried, now I know for a FACT there are a good number of well bred, first season dogs out there still doing the business on these winter hares, and thats the sort of breeding I'm going to for my next pup, I'm not throwing £500 blindly at a peddler I've done my research, the point im making is I know other lads personally that are having more fun with their young dogs and not going home disappointed at this time of year but I am, and to be honest I'm the one that feeds the dog and walks it so it's up to me what I'm willing to accept performance wise every week, I'm not new to running dogs I've seen plenty dogs run and this one doesn't excite me and isn't that what it's all about? Being honest watching him run those hares I was gutted and still am but that's just life if they all made the grade dogs would be much less exciting, I'm confident about the next one and I've learned alot from this dog especially about breeding and how important it is so it's not been a total loss, he still has until the end of the season to show me what I want to see but my optimism that I had is definitely gone now, and thats not how youre supposed to feel about your dog that you've put all your time in to for a year, hopefully that makes sense to some people

Edited by chrissi19
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, Mickeydemouse said:

Why don’t you keep them then instead you keep coursing dogs lol some man 

I have one out of a coursing dog X lurcher & a coursing dog X coursing dog,the latter is shite

Like Chris above,I'm honest about my dogs & being around running dogs for many years you know from pretty early on in a dogs career if it's going to make the grade,if you have a gut feeling that something just isn't right in regards to a dogs work ethic you can bet your bottom dollar in time when you look back your were right on the money with that gut feeling..you can choose to work to the dogs strengths because it will have some or you can move on & start again with another young gun,yes of course breeding helps but that doesn't guarantee success,it tips the odds in your favour but no more than that..they can be bred to be a champ & look like a champ but that don't mean they are,my dogs are just companions pretty much these days,don't matter a jot how good or bad they are to me.. once upon a time it certainly would of done..my desert dawg Mario just this morning ?

PSX_20171218_113244.jpg

PSX_20171218_113030.jpg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, chrissi19 said:

Just to give everyone the full picture here cause I think most of you are misunderstanding, I've had the pup from 6 weeks old and I've put 100% effort in to him from day 1, genuinely he's one of my favourite dogs I've ever had, the reason I bought him was because he was marketed as lucky the dark destroyer lines so I assumed great dog = great pups, obviously I was a bit more naive then about coursing breeding breeding etc but I bought him anyway and that was that, he killed his 1st single handed on September 19th at a day over 12 months and over the next to months of say he killed 50% of the hares he ran and I was really confident about him, but mid November at 14 months things started to go wrong, when it wasn't stubble hares he was running faults in his game started to show, the last 6 hares he' ran he's killed 1, and the one he killed stuck very tight to cover I've no doubt that of it headed out right over the seed he would've missed that as well, hes not a fast type of dog when faced with a good hare he just plods along behind it making no real impact on the hares movement, the odd jink here and there but he never has it worried, now I know for a FACT there are a good number of well bred, first season dogs out there still doing the business on these winter hares, and thats the sort of breeding I'm going to for my next pup, I'm not throwing £500 blindly at a peddler I've done my research, the point im making is I know other lads personally that are having more fun with their young dogs and not going home disappointed at this time of year but I am, and to be honest I'm the one that feeds the dog and walks it so it's up to me what I'm willing to accept performance wise every week, I'm not new to running dogs I've seen plenty dogs run and this one doesn't excite me and isn't that what it's all about? Being honest watching him run those hares I was gutted and still am but that's just life if they all made the grade dogs would be much less exciting, I'm confident about the next one and I've learned alot from this dog especially about breeding and how important it is so it's not been a total loss, he still has until the end of the season to show me what I want to see but my optimism that I had is definitely gone now, and thats not how youre supposed to feel about your dog that you've put all your time in to for a year, hopefully that makes sense to some people

Fair play buddy nobody could of reasonably asked more of you , ?

• Like 2