Pallet Timber Hutch

Any one got any pictures. Looking for a bit of inspiration. Got a few nice pallets put to one side and need a new hutch soon. First problem none of the lengths will be long enough so will have to join them.

Next is the weight if I want a two story job. Then there is the floors as ideally need to be smooth so might have to fork out for a bit of ply :(

Once again I say, I wish you were a bit closer Terry. Everything you seem to need I have in abundance. Just had to empty my warehouse due to re-roofing and found 14 sheets of marine ply surplus to requirements. Jok.

• Like 3

I'm actually collecting materials for a similar project. I have two pallets that have been covered with ply that will be painted and on slabs to act as a floor and planning on building a small type court. Just tall enough to walk into and obviously floor size would be as big as two pallets.

ATB Kinga

I had loads of pallets but found it a major pain in the ring taking the planks off. Half of them kept splitting, then once id taken the nails out, theres big holes in the planks that my ferrets would start digging at and inevitably make bigger in no time. Then there was the problem with the length as they werent long enough for the back of the hutch either vertical or horizontally. I was wanting the hutch up quick so I ended up buying shutter board ply for my two story hutch and sealed it with creosote. It will still last longer than any shop bought hutch and worked out at half the price.

Any one got any pictures. Looking for a bit of inspiration. Got a few nice pallets put to one side and need a new hutch soon. First problem none of the lengths will be long enough so will have to join them.

Next is the weight if I want a two story job. Then there is the floors as ideally need to be smooth so might have to fork out for a bit of ply :(

Made entirely from pallets ,,two years old now still going strong,,,,ps, its a pain breaking down and removing wire nails from the pallets but its worth it.

post-15985-0-33313000-1502926291.jpg

post-15985-0-89372500-1502926319.jpg

• Like 3

Made a start tonight disassembling my first pallet. Got some nice new ones. But the nails are not thin wire things but bloody great things driven right in. Saw a youtube vid of some guy with two boards just levering the lengths off. But no chance first bit of pressure and all i heard was crack crack. Next plan was to get the aldi parktool saw out with the metal blade fitted and saw through the nails. Made some progress with that though bit slow. But the boards came off nice and clean. Wonder if a nice sharp bolster would work

Edited by terryd

Not all pallets are made the same!

Some will simply not Co e apart without damage, others are held together inexplicably with very little stopping them collapsing, others simply aren't worth the effort because the wood is so knotty, warped or uneven.

I use a lot for kindling and find running the circular down inside the corner blocks / side rails and just scrapping the rest is far more economical time wise.

+1,also might be stating the obvious but if theres any timber yards near you its allways worth popping in and asking what off cuts they have,bought loads over the years some surprisingly big 6ft+.Once someones had a sheet cut they just want the surplus gone,recently got the equivelant of 2 sheets 12mm for £8 atb Dave

Well all done. Took me 3 days and diy, wood working is not my thing for sure :laugh:

36011794784_a1865c9391_b.jpg

moved the little sods in tonight

36503729810_9b9b7977e2_b.jpg

36760818631_4c7b84091f_b.jpg

they seem happy enough and I hope I never need to move it because it is not happening :D

• Like 10