Multi Purpose Dogs?

I know lurchers are supposed to be jack of all trades but has anyone's dog got an additional job along side the usual lamping, ferreting, bushing?

I use one of mine to find deer while stalking and track them after the shot if needs be.

I seem to remember someone on here using theirs as a wildfowling dog but can't remember the x.

Any other special talents?

• Like 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a malinois bitch, nasdu qualified. Works security, the lamp, tracks shot deer, retrieves shot foxes catches rabbits the lot not fast enough for most stuff but does more than expected

I use Tess when beating/picking up. She's got a cracking retrieve and not to shabby on finding pricked birds (if a little hard mouthed on feather). Almost won a local field trial with her once! and sh

Mines got a additional talent if being a massive c**t

Posted Images

theres a lad here in mid wales who uses his red bitch to heard sheep with the sheep dogs........

and to be fair its a decent animal for it......always amazes me how the same lurcher will hunt the hill and mark foxes to ground ignoring the sheep!?

a few lads on here would know of the dog

atb

• Like 4

I use Tess when beating/picking up. She's got a cracking retrieve and not to shabby on finding pricked birds (if a little hard mouthed on feather). Almost won a local field trial with her once! and she'll work a hedge as good as most Labs.

She still goes Ferreting all through the season but due to past injuries and age isn't fast enough in the open anymore and limps for two days after.

She still has it in her if needed to help clear farms of certain pest species as you don't really need speed for that.

Took her Boar hunting but didn't get the chance to test her out unfortunately but I'm sure she would of coped with it ok.

She's ponced around a show ring with my young daughter several times helping her win 'Best Child Handler' :laugh:

Lately she's just been a 'stand aid' for our 16month old boy, a draught excluder and seems to turn food into shit with ever more increasing enthusiasm!

• Like 10

I'm impressed by the idea of one working sheep. I imagine there will be quite a few that work beating and will retrieve feather. I'd be happy with mine on a rough shoot but it would be a bit nerve wracking on a big paid day

I'm impressed by the idea of one working sheep. I imagine there will be quite a few that work beating and will retrieve feather. I'd be happy with mine on a rough shoot but it would be a bit nerve wracking on a big paid day

There is a young bitch here with me it loves hunting the local pheasants never had a dog so keen for them

There is a young bitch here with me it loves hunting the local pheasants never had a dog so keen for them
Bloke by me realised loads on a farm behind our kennels to train his spaniels face was a picture when I was being deads ones back the lurchers had caught lol

it blew my mind to be honest.............. id seen the lurcher work in the day out on the hill and was very decent at its job......

i then passed the lurcher in the back of the lads landy with the sheep dogs to which he said he uses him for gathering.....

a week or so later i seen the red dog fetching sheep off one of the hills with three sheep dogs and he certainly knew the game

atb

• Like 1