Jobs You Can Never Get Away From

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair play....but honestly,...it is strictly a case of profit... I still love taking on, a large acreage of silage,.but the facts are,..the large Mansion houses and country gardens are far better paye

It's the upper classes. They love a bit of role-play; gets them all horny for the days when they could have a struggling mole catcher deported to the colonies. Anyway, caught old warp in the rose gard

Best thing I ever did. I tell them it will be the initial visit plus one possibly two more visits 99% of the time. Im a molecatcher turned pesty and very good at catching moles and the customer is vir

I've said it on here before, I don't charge per mole or per visit. I charge for a time period where I will come to their property garden or whatever and catch all the moles that are there. If the time period is exceeded and there is still more activity then they will have to pay me again. However, we've all had that cheeky b*****d, and like you say it's a matter of Pride!

• Like 1

Each to their own but 15 pound a hour don't seem much for a self-employed person if you take off traveling time tax insurance accountant ware and tare equipment you must be working for less than the minimum wage

40 hour week £600, not bad is it?

• Like 1

:hmm:Garden jobs are my bread and butter,...I used to trap vast estates for moles,...but now, I enjoy a far less stressful existence,..gardens are good... :thumbs:

Well, im the opposite,...the "Garden jobs", can certainly be more 'lucrative' :yes: ,...but personally, im less keen on these types of jobs, as time goes on. I can spend alot of time having 'dialogue', answering customers questions,etc (& ones 'standing over you',..while you work, irritates me a little, too). Not to mention the dogs, children, etc,....who always seem too have the run of the place, (even while laying traps, when youve specified otherwise ? :blink: ),.....nah, i still prefer 'wandering' the larger areas, in pursuit of old 'moley' ! (although it doesnt get any easier, year after year ? :D )

Edited by earth-thrower

This was the reason I changed my pricing policy. I used to charge £X for catching the mole/s but on third and "final" visit was casually told there was some activity near the tennis courts which meant 2/3 more visits and my profit totally gone. Now i charge for initial set up and X per visit so I can happily go back as many times as they want

Does this work well for you?

If I was the customer would think perhaps you are not very good or trying to rip me off as you charge every visit, so would be in your interest not to catch quickly?

Best thing I ever did. I tell them it will be the initial visit plus one possibly two more visits 99% of the time. Im a molecatcher turned pesty and very good at catching moles and the customer is virtually always over the moon. Ive seen pestys turned molecatchers though that couldnt catch a cold never mind a mole, they couldnt do it. As for being in my interest not to catch quickly, no. Im not out to screw the customer, im a firm believer in a fair price for a good job and I want to be the first person my customer rings back for when they have a problem . Sounds corny but i really try to do a first class job every time but charge a fair price. Its like in winter when im full time on farms i charge £15 an hour and im more than happy with that. If i charged per mole and gave a bill for £1k to a farmer for a weeks work he would never ring me again.

I like what your saying here,( mostly),..but, as far as 'price per mole', is concerned,...well, if your expecting 100 plus, on a place ?,....you dont exactly HAVE to charge £10 a mole,in that situation, do you ? (although whos to say its not justified, depending on the 'conditions' & the severity of the problem, moles may be causing ?)

Each to their own but 15 pound a hour don't seem much for a self-employed person if you take off traveling time tax insurance accountant ware and tare equipment you must be working for less than the minimum wage

I believe anyone who thinks you can ALWAYS charge, what you want ?,..or EVEN what you need to charge, to make it worthwhile,...then the customer declines ? (in some cases ),...with 'mole catching' ?? :blink: ,....im afraid, will be in for a 'rude awakening' ! lol

Edited by earth-thrower

This was the reason I changed my pricing policy. I used to charge £X for catching the mole/s but on third and "final" visit was casually told there was some activity near the tennis courts which meant 2/3 more visits and my profit totally gone. Now i charge for initial set up and X per visit so I can happily go back as many times as they want

If I was the customer would think perhaps you are not very good or trying to rip me off as you charge every visit, so would be in your interest not to catch quickly?

Best thing I ever did. I tell them it will be the initial visit plus one possibly two more visits 99% of the time. Im a molecatcher turned pesty and very good at catching moles and the customer is virtually always over the moon. Ive seen pestys turned molecatchers though that couldnt catch a cold never mind a mole, they couldnt do it. As for being in my interest not to catch quickly, no. Im not out to screw the customer, im a firm believer in a fair price for a good job and I want to be the first person my customer rings back for when they have a problem . Sounds corny but i really try to do a first class job every time but charge a fair price. Its like in winter when im full time on farms i charge £15 an hour and im more than happy with that. If i charged per mole and gave a bill for £1k to a farmer for a weeks work he would never ring me again.

I like what your saying here,( mostly),..but, as far as 'price per mole', is concerned,...well, if your expecting 100 plus, on a place ?,....you dont exactly HAVE to charge £10 a mole,in that situation, do you ? (although whos to say its not justified, depending on the 'conditions' & the severity of the problem, moles may be causing ?)

Sorry mate, been on holiday. Ye i agree but if i was to drop it down to say £5 a mole then when you go mopping up the last few it could be costing me money when i have to drive to the place, spend all day there and only bill £25 or something. Plus if farmers talk and one finds out he is getting billed £10 a mole and another £5 there would be a lot of sulking. Im happy billing per hour, but if any farmer ever offers £10 a mole i arent arguing . haha

• Like 1

I believe anyone who thinks you can ALWAYS charge, what you want ?,..or EVEN what you need to charge, to make it worthwhile,...but, the customer declines ? (in some cases ),...with 'mole catching' ?? :blink: ,....im afraid, will be in for a 'rude awakening' ! lol

Sorry mate, been on holiday. Ye i agree but if i was to drop it down to say £5 a mole then when you go mopping up the last few it could be costing me money when i have to drive to the place, spend all day there and only bill £25 or something. Plus if farmers talk and one finds out he is getting billed £10 a mole and another £5 there would be a lot of sulking. Im happy billing per hour, but if any farmer ever offers £10 a mole i arent arguing . haha

Very sensible ! :thumbs:

Each to their own if you're happy with £15 hour that's all that matters good luck I'm sure you will never be short of work.

Do not know much about Shropshire, but around here £15 per hour is good. Would you get more than that at a general factory job in the winter? (if pest control was slow)