Having It All?

Might get myself one last pup before I pop my clogs.

I've been reading on here that modern coursing dogs can do just about anything in the lurcher world. I've never had an out- and- out coursing dog because I've always required a versatile dog. I'd always thought coursing dogs were one trick ponies, but, as I say a lot of knowledgeable guys on here reckon they are the ultimate lurcher.

I am a bit cautious too about the saluki temperament, I like a dog to be able to take a telling when it does wrong (preferably before) and I just apply gun dog methods to train a pup. I couldn't cope with a pup that needs understanding/counselling when it does what it wants. :laugh:

Any thoughts?

I've been reading on here that modern coursing dogs can do just about anything in the lurcher world. I've never had an out- and- out coursing dog because I've always required a versatile dog. I'd always thought coursing dogs were one trick ponies, but, as I say a lot of knowledgeable guys on here reckon they are the ultimate lurcher.

I am a bit cautious too about the saluki temperament, I like a dog to be able to take a telling when it does wrong (preferably before) and I just apply gun dog methods to train a pup. I couldn't cope with a pup that needs understanding/counselling when it does what it wants. :laugh:

Any thoughts?

Don't go near one , your not making a strong agreement for getting a dog with what can be a bit brittle temperament wise

, I often thought about getting another saluki type mutt but being honest with himself I'm just not going to make drastic changes to my hunting patterns at this stage in my life

• Like 2

Any thoughts?

Don't go near one , your not making a strong agreement for getting a dog with what can be a bit brittle temperament wise

, I often thought about getting another saluki type mutt but being honest with himself I'm just not going to make drastic changes to my hunting patterns at this stage in my life

I must admit that if my next dog would likely be my last throw of the dice, a line bred coursing salukix would not be my first choice if I'd not had one before. But a good solid lurcher put to a coursing dog could be just the ticket to have one last blow out

• Like 1

I've got one that is mostly coursing dog with a little collie blood. I got her as an unwanted 5 month old and the first year or so was a bit trying and she wouldn't take much obedience or discipline, I just had to manage things so that she could get out and run whilst trying to minimise the chances of getting hurt. Then something clicked at around 16 months and she started to work with me and although gun dog like obedience is unlikely, she is fairly controllable. I have never used harsher discipline than eye contact and strong tone of voice. She is very driven to find and run game and has a surprisingly good nose.

I would echo what was said about coat. Mine has a thin coat, very little fat on her, distance runner's muscle and is likely to chill quickly.

As a pet that does a bit type owner, mine is really a bit too much dog for me and the strong hunting drive (much stronger than any of the other lurchers I have owned) can get a bit of a pain when I would sometimes prefer a quiet walk without the drama. Although I wouldn't change her for anything, I probably wouldn't have another of the type.

• Like 3

As a pet that does a bit type owner, mine is really a bit too much dog for me and the strong hunting drive (much stronger than any of the other lurchers I have owned) can get a bit of a pain when I would sometimes prefer a quiet walk without the drama. Although I wouldn't change her for anything, I probably wouldn't have another of the type.

Wish I had asked the same before getting a bull cross I can echo the above to a T. They keep you alive for sure :laugh:

• Like 1

I got a coursing x lurcher pup 20 1/2 wks got the mentle capacity of a spoon!! Very immature for her age & does my head in constantly. Just had to accept shes very much slower to mature than every other pup ive had & hopefully she'll get there. I know shes still a baby but previous pups more advanced/mature at half her age. Coat wise shes a woolly sponge is simular to velcro as every thing sticks to it!!! Think she'll be my last. Atb

not all coursing dogs are the same just like any other breed of a dog , yes I have experienced some to be very head strong ignorant , but you get that in any breed of a dog , patients and a good bond , these types of dogs work off trust and a bond .some will mature faster then other just like any other dogs , I have a young dog here iv had him since a pup not given me much bother very obident and been a pleasure to own il be trying him this coming season, My bull greyhound have given me more trouble then any other . If I had to get another dog it wouldn't be anything without coursing blood saluki init

Tbf i think most of my pups problems a due her being bottle fed as Dam died on vets table while having emergency "C" section she was one of two that survived out of 9 pups. So had no early guidance from mum etc. Wasnt planning to run her this season so hopefully by nxt season (after this one) she'll have sorted herself out. Not knocking coursing bred x lurchers hust unfortunate this one is my first. Atb

Thanks for your thoughts folks.I think I will pass on a coursing pup.

I am exactly the same in my perseption of the saluki type and how I dont think there my cup of tea, stick to what know you like, no point in wasting what could be your last pup on something you might not get on with :thumbs:

• Like 1