Stoper/carpal Pad Removeing Pros And Cons

One of my bitches tore hers half off had it stitched back on 4 1/2 months lead walking first time off lead it came apart again so 2 1/2weeks ago had it removed shes still all bandaged up with a splint type thing to stop stitches tearing.been back to vets twice to have dressings done & check it. Got to go back again nxt wednesday. Hopefully she'll make good recovery in time. Initial op was £247 not paid for follow ups yet?? Atb

Alrigt guys i was just haveing a think about my dogs pads.

as end of last season we had a bit of trouble with his stopper pad so

i wanted to hear what do you all think are the pros and cons with getting them taken off. Atb GD

my dog cut his stopper in half I had it removed and he's been.

When I run my dogs on stony rough ground, stopper injuries are very common and annoying. They don't occur as much on pasture land. If you have the stoppers removed you'll have to run the dogs with bandages where their stoppers were. I've come to the conclusion that I may as well just bandage them up before running on the rough rather than take the stoppers off, then I don't need to bandage them on grass.

(Skycat's book gives good instructions on bandageing. Don't get them too tight or too slack. Neither is good.)

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 1

I ran my bitch all last season with padding & vetwrap & ground not stoney round here but even when on walks mooching etc without bandage it kept pulling apart she even did it jumping around in gdn. So no option but to remove & i accept now i'll have to wrap it when i run her .. eventually!! The stopper protects the carpel bone so needs wrapping. Some lads had stopper removed & all been ok afterwards so fingers crossed. Atb

• Like 1

When I run my dogs on stony rough ground, stopper injuries are very common and annoying. They don't occur as much on pasture land. If you have the stoppers removed you'll have to run the dogs with bandages where their stoppers were. I've come to the conclusion that I may as well just bandage them up before running on the rough rather than take the stoppers off, then I don't need to bandage them on grass.

(Skycat's book gives good instructions on bandageing. Don't get them too tight or too slack. Neither is good.)

no bandage needed for my dog he's fine

Mickeydamouse. How long before he was running again bud ? Glad to hear hes doing well. Atb

maybe 3 week am not 100 on it but. A used honey to help with the recovery I truer wrapping it before a got it off was just a waste of time if it was to happen with his other one it would just be took of to save the hassle as well atb hope you get sorted