Sign in to follow this  
Elliott

22 Hornet | 235 Yard Nut Shot

Yes, they don't on a single shot generate enough heat to keep dry the bore from the water vapour produce on combustion.

Another one bit the dust this evening, with the Hornet. This time at 350 yards! What a piece of kit; think I'll be ditching the 223 :D

Another one bit the dust this evening, with the Hornet. This time at 350 yards! What a piece of kit; think I'll be ditching the 223 :D

By eck lad 👍☺️

By eck lad 👍☺️

On film this time, too :thumbs:

Elliot, using 40grn ammo and zeroed to 100yds what is the drop at 150yds, 200yds and 250yds.?

Elliot, using 40grn ammo and zeroed to 100yds what is the drop at 150yds, 200yds and 250yds.?

Hi Ian, here you go. This is based on the chrono data telling me that the 40gr V-Max are running at 3,000fps.

I do need to play with the BC a bit though, because I've found that the V-Max drop slightly more than stated.

post-64187-0-47645000-1502390143_thumb.jpg

Edited by Elliott

Thanks for that it's very interesting. Quite a pronounced curve and more than i thought it would be.

Thanks for that it's very interesting. Quite a pronounced curve and more than i thought it would be.

That's one of the advantages of the .17 hornet, increased velocity and the same ballistics as .223:

17-hornet-trajectory-comparison.jpg

Be interesting to see Elliot's comparison. I personally expect both to be effective and for it to be largely personal choice over ballistics and maybe a bit more usable range on the .17.

Impressive shooting sir! I was feeling proud of my 50 yard rabbits with the airgun until I read this.

Those .22 hornets can really reach out and touch them.