Fly Fishing For Pike

a fella i took him and his dog out ferreting and lamping when he had no permishion took me fly fishing no 1 on the lake got out that day but we was on a lake up ner snakes pass i think

i did in joyed it sumthing diffrent and all but weeks later saw a fella fly fishing for pike on my local pond and he was catching pritty much evry cast wood like to no what rod reel and line to get for mostly pike and carp :signthankspin:

Think you can buy a pike fly kit for under a tonne all in.Make sure you use a wire trace and a tapered leader to help with turnover as the flies are massive.Wouldnt mind a do myself but theres far to many dog walkers/kids round here making the back cast a bit dangerous lol Line wise I wouldn't go below 12lb,more if its snaggy,think the rods are 10wts.Im sure there will be someone more qualified to help you on here ,but its a startingpoint lol Btw it was probably Ladybower Resevoir you fished atb Dave

I use a guideline 9ft 9 weight rod with a guideline 9 weight pike taper line and either drennan super esox , kevlar or single strand TI for traces with 40lb flouro as a leader , not much point in going any light with leaders and the stiffer material turns the big wind resistant flies over better for easier casting . A stripping basket makes life easier aswell and cuts down on tangles and standing on your line and also keeps it out of the dog shit on the canals .

post-28253-0-13844500-1501473677_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I would use a heavy duty fluoro carbon trace, that or Kevlar trace.

Will fluorocarbon stand up to a pikes teeth Lee?

50lb + should be ok. If I were fishing somewhere snaggy then maybe 100lb. There are a few doubts about using fluorocarbon traces. The main of pike I've caught on the fly haven't been deep hooked, unlike using bait where more of the line comes into contact with the teeth.

With thick fluoro you can easily check for damage should you catch a fish or any problems such as trees etc :D fluoro is pretty tough gear as long as you keep your eye on it.

The only bite offs I had is where I've been fishing for trout with lesser breaking strain. even then I've landed a fair few.

As I said the kevlar knotable stuff is good, but I find it a bit supple unlike wire or fluoro.

Kevlar and fuoro are knotable unlike wire and that is handy for quick trace alterations.

If in doubt use wire, it doesn't make a lot of difference imo.

• Like 2

I would use a heavy duty fluoro carbon trace, that or Kevlar trace.

Will fluorocarbon stand up to a pikes teeth Lee?

50lb + should be ok. If I were fishing somewhere snaggy then maybe 100lb. There are a few doubts about using fluorocarbon traces. The main of pike I've caught on the fly haven't been deep hooked, unlike using bait where more of the line comes into contact with the teeth.

With thick fluoro you can easily check for damage should you catch a fish or any problems such as trees etc :D fluoro is pretty tough gear as long as you keep your eye on it.

The only bite offs I had is where I've been fishing for trout with lesser breaking strain. even then I've landed a fair few.

As I said the kevlar knotable stuff is good, but I find it a bit supple unlike wire or fluoro.

Kevlar and fuoro are knotable unlike wire and that is handy for quick trace alterations.

If in doubt use wire, it doesn't make a lot of difference imo.

You can knot single strand titanium aswell and it's stiff but doesn't kink like normal wire .
  • Like 2

Think you can buy a pike fly kit for under a tonne all in.Make sure you use a wire trace and a tapered leader to help with turnover as the flies are massive.Wouldnt mind a do myself but theres far to many dog walkers/kids round here making the back cast a bit dangerous lol Line wise I wouldn't go below 12lb,more if its snaggy,think the rods are 10wts.Im sure there will be someone more qualified to help you on here ,but its a startingpoint lol Btw it was probably Ladybower Resevoir you fished atb Dave

no was a smaller cheeper lake ner by ladybower

• Like 1