Round Bales ?

You must be near where I am from general I am only 6 mile from Tandragee

Yes KD your from Pdown originally mate isnt that right? I know all the lads you are on about, my family lives out that way where they keep all the dogs. Edited by THE GENERAL

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure with the roads now you can travel the length off the country in no time. I was in Waterford last weekend in just over 4.5 hours and we weren't in any hurry. Nice drive to be honest, makes life a

You don't need to give me a 'heads up, mucker'. You're just blowing hot air up bale dog's arses. I've seen first class bale and rock dogs that are absolutely useless cowards in earths. But I'm yet

That big dog made short work off them, long time ago now. A hound lurcher and a terrier, every walk was different but interesting.

Posted Images

Sure with the roads now you can travel the length off the country in no time. I was in Waterford last weekend in just over 4.5 hours and we weren't in any hurry. Nice drive to be honest, makes life a lot easier lads can meet up from wherever and share days out together. Isn't that what it's all about at the end of the day. Atb

Four and a half hours ????????????

Who was your passenger ? Miss Daisy ?

I thought you boys in the North didn't know how to drive slow ,LOL.

I remember the Sweep Bar show, it went on for 15 or 16 years. The Sweep Bar show and the Tandragee Show will probably go down as the best shows ever ran in Ireland.

I still have a video my brother took of Tandragee where there's nearly 30 dogs in the Wheaten class. That's something that might never be seen again.

There was a breakfast a coffee and 2 piss stops threw in there as well maybe that held us up lol. Yeah was down at it a few times good show plenty of decent lads. Tandragee isn't far from me used to love the heavy dogs class at it, as you say it was always big some amount off dogs there. Last time it was on I got pissed in the Paddock after the show ended up partying with the lads didn't get home until the Monday mornin, great crack. Shame they're not ran anymore.

Ahhh, The Paddock, that brings back some memories (especially the night I left it with a lad who got down on his belly and checked underneath his car before we drove away, it was still the time of the troubles,LOL) and before it was The Paddock it was called The Farmers.

And like you, I often went for a pint and didn't get home for a few days.

Good times.

Do you remember the weight pulling in Tandragee one year when two Bulldogs pulled the trolley with ALL the concrete blocks on it and we had no more blocks so a child was put sitting on top of the blocks and one Bulldog pulled it and the other didn't.

The same year a Bulldog slipped out of it's harness while pulling and flew straight into a well known Wheaten mans Wheaten dog. The Wheaten seen the Bulldog coming and grabbed it and shook it like a rat for the couple of seconds it took to part them.

Everyones jaw hit the ground, LOL.

• Like 1

Not many places about me that you could work bales compared to other folk, but we've put them out of roofs of old houses on a regular basis over the years. They hold at certain times depending on weather conditions and temperature. I mind standing with my back to the wall of an old stone cottage, I was in my late teens with my 7/8s grey 1/8th bedlington I had at the time, wondering what I was to expect. Window to the right of me another to the left. Waiting on a fox jump out of the window, usually they don't but it's not uncommon, I wasn't to know. A terrier was put into the roof from the rear, nothing for a while but you could hear the dog searching threw the roof. You where told to be quiet even approaching the building never mind speak, took a few mins then the terrier was on, few barks and you knew there was hunt in it. A fox ran around the gable of the house towards me, a dog was already on its tail. I held up. Just as well. A fox came out off the roof right over the top of my head and landed right in front of me. We killed 4 out off that roof that morning, 2 out of the next roof less than 100 yards away down the same lane. Some crack at the time. You'd be wasting your time trying roofs at certain times off the year, as they only hold under certain conditions.

Is it the same with working bales?

They where good times. It takes a certain type off terrier to run a roof mind you, not all terriers liked being threw up into heights threw windows or floorboards or unstable crevices, not natural surroundings by any means.

There's a hunting man in the North who with his small pack of hounds and lurchers accounts for 3 or 4 hundred foxes each season and if I remember correctly I think he told me a few years back that he had 30 out of roofs one year.

assuming he would he have guns with him too Neil?

I haven't hunted with them for a few years but always thought they had a gun or two out for those corners not suitable for a lurcher.
Must be different men these lads I know don't like lads shooting them.
would his name be s.t. if so he wouldn't have guns out no matter wat
that's a fact
S.T. Is out plenty with guns ,hunts 12 months of the year ,prone too exaggerate numbers caught and telling wee white lies ,but nobody will tell him that lol :D

I've been out few times wit him. and I was there one day he wouldn't even let lad stand wit two lurcher s on a hedge had to be single. as for gun s I never seen guns out ever when I was there . I seen giving gun club lad dig in mouth up that way for telling him he not allowed on land and he had full permission was funny as f**k. he is a header but sound skin I think.

• Like 1

Used to be a shed with the small square bales in it just over the road a bit from me and we got a good few fox from it down the years then they knocked it to build a house so that was that.There is an orchard where i hunt and its walls are covered in ivy and it holds fox regulary.Then we have an old house with an earth within it.The entrance is in the face of an open fire place and it can be dug in either of the rooms thats in it,just a matter of breaking the flag stone of the floor and about a ft diging and your in,there is also an earth in 1 of the sheds surrunding the house,very hany shallow places for starting a young terrier.

We had a place like that that had a Badger set(pre ban)we dug it regular,one day we dug it to much and the fireplace heart and all collapsed.

• Like 2

Bales love them or hate them they hold when the grounds sodden ,frozen and can produce instantly on occasion .The old dog Razor loved them but nearly always got hold .It was then a matter of moving bales swiftly .We turned up at one farm to hear others had had a good look round for a fox doing a bit of damage and had tried these bales stacked against a barn with a terrier that found but came off .He was a grumpy git and said we waiting our time in the bales .Razor was entered and scrambled up high as he often did .Quiet reigned and farmer was full of told you so lol.I piped up and said dog was killing it but farmer wasn't having none of it .I scrambled up and could hear the muffled grunts I was used to whether to ground or wherever ,not many lived to bolt with that dog .I asked farner to get the loader and move a few which he did with a few moans and sure enough two bales in ,middle of the stack there was the dog ,tail wagging with a dead vixen .Still got that perm today .

NS had some very good bale dogs when he was at the Beaufort from memory .

Big dogs are non starters in my experience in the bales .

• Like 4

They are almost a guaranteed place to hold foxes come Winter, personally I'm not a fan of them as I like a dig, but there's no denying they can bump your tally up for the season.

Thankfully there are still folk about that know you don,t always have to dig to get a result,ill even give you a little heads up here mucker and state with a little certainty that the majority of fox are accounted for without the assistance of a garden implement,doh.
With your head being up your own arse it's a wonder you see anything ,knobhead .
  • Like 2

They are almost a guaranteed place to hold foxes come Winter, personally I'm not a fan of them as I like a dig, but there's no denying they can bump your tally up for the season.

Thankfully there are still folk about that know you don,t always have to dig to get a result,ill even give you a little heads up here mucker and state with a little certainty that the majority of fox are accounted for without the assistance of a garden implement,doh.
With your head being up your own arse it's a wonder you see anything ,knobhead .

Pmsl.

Sure with the roads now you can travel the length off the country in no time. I was in Waterford last weekend in just over 4.5 hours and we weren't in any hurry. Nice drive to be honest, makes life a lot easier lads can meet up from wherever and share days out together. Isn't that what it's all about at the end of the day. Atb

Four and a half hours ????????????

Who was your passenger ? Miss Daisy ?

I thought you boys in the North didn't know how to drive slow ,LOL.

I remember the Sweep Bar show, it went on for 15 or 16 years. The Sweep Bar show and the Tandragee Show will probably go down as the best shows ever ran in Ireland.

I still have a video my brother took of Tandragee where there's nearly 30 dogs in the Wheaten class. That's something that might never be seen again.

There was a breakfast a coffee and 2 piss stops threw in there as well maybe that held us up lol. Yeah was down at it a few times good show plenty of decent lads. Tandragee isn't far from me used to love the heavy dogs class at it, as you say it was always big some amount off dogs there. Last time it was on I got pissed in the Paddock after the show ended up partying with the lads didn't get home until the Monday mornin, great crack. Shame they're not ran anymore.

Ahhh, The Paddock, that brings back some memories (especially the night I left it with a lad who got down on his belly and checked underneath his car before we drove away, it was still the time of the troubles,LOL) and before it was The Paddock it was called The Farmers.

And like you, I often went for a pint and didn't get home for a few days.

Good times.

Do you remember the weight pulling in Tandragee one year when two Bulldogs pulled the trolley with ALL the concrete blocks on it and we had no more blocks so a child was put sitting on top of the blocks and one Bulldog pulled it and the other didn't.

The same year a Bulldog slipped out of it's harness while pulling and flew straight into a well known Wheaten mans Wheaten dog. The Wheaten seen the Bulldog coming and grabbed it and shook it like a rat for the couple of seconds it took to part them.

Everyones jaw hit the ground, LOL.

why dont yas who went to the old show start a new one? ive heard of the old shows and been told they were a good day out. or what would yas say is the best to go to now for strong dogs? pm if required

You don't need to give me a 'heads up, mucker'.

You're just blowing hot air up bale dog's arses.

I've seen first class bale and rock dogs that are absolutely useless cowards in earths. But I'm yet to see a good earth dog that fails in bale, rocks or drains.

You don't need to give me a 'heads up, mucker'.

You're just blowing hot air up bale dog's arses.

I've seen first class bale and rock dogs that are absolutely useless cowards in earths. But I'm yet to see a good earth dog that fails in bale, rocks or drains.

You need to get out more then

• Like 1

Sorry bud but you can't compare a rock dog to a earth dog there completely different dogs an earth dog stays till dug to but a rock dog has to keep moving if it's not going to get a bolt show and try another way to get to its Fox. Different dogs for different jobs

Just my 2 pence worth